Thread: Ammonite from Big Leaf Maple

Ammonite from Big Leaf Maple

Purchased this piece of wood 2 years ago south of Tacoma and finally got around to turning it . Had to be turned outboard as it is 21 x 19
    I have always been fascinated by the shape and form of Ammonites. Used Modern Masters reactive paint and patina

C and C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ronald, i'm not quite sure what it is but it looks to be very well done. I like it!!

Nice work!

This is beautiful...both the form and finish! I'm going to check out the MM finishes now...

Blog Entries
    Looks great. At that size it could be a wall mount or stand in a "plate stand" like doo-dad. I have a decorative slab of slate in such a stand on one side of the hearth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes it is a wall hanger
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it as I collected fossils before getting hooked on turning. How did you draw the spiral?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    I like it as I collected fossils before getting hooked on turning. How did you draw the spiral?
    There are a few ways to do it. Watched a video on YouTube . Showing how to dived it into sections and where to use the compass
    I thought I would find the center on the lathe, bring my lathe table up, turn the lathe on 175 and bring a pencil along the table. Was too fast with my hand, lines too far apart. Did it again and slowed down the pencil feed