Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ringmaster tool for bowls

Check ebay for a used ringmaster

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

recently published article on woodturningdesign.com

http://www.ghwg.ca/techniques/Bowl_f...d_20100909.pdf

I made my own attachment using a X Y drill press attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't like the method of using a bandsaw to cut the rings because then you have to glue all the half rings back together. I use my scroll saw tilted to 35 degrees so I'm dealing with full rings which are much less trouble to glue together...

CAM00554.jpg CAM00564.jpg CAM00565.jpg CAM00567.jpg

Barry, that is a very interesting way of obtaining the segmented layers.

As it so happens, yesterday I watched a live demonstration from a long retired pattern maker and his version of segmenting bowls and/or vases. His method only uses material he can cut on his bandsaw using a jig of his own design to calculate and set angles. His method uses individual segments individually glued for each ring. He uses a face plate sander, combining it with his angle jig on his lathe to obtain accurate angles and smoothness for his individual pieces. Not as elegant as your method and I would suggest nowhere near as quick; but one can, with a minimum of equipment and diligence, end up with some interesting and elegant stuff using his method.

In March this year, I was in attendance at my own wood turning guild when one of our members demonstrated his own self built ring cutter. Being a retired machining shop owner and still owning some machinery, he built his own ring cutting device. His device was a great thing, but I like the simplicity of your method better.

I note you appear to be using a single sided steady, is this to allow for the pressure from internal cutting?

I am not a super fan of segmented turning, but I can see that I'll have to do at least one in the future to get them out of my system.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Barry, that is a very interesting way of obtaining the segmented layers.

As it so happens, yesterday I watched a live demonstration from a long retired pattern maker and his version of segmenting bowls and/or vases. His method only uses material he can cut on his bandsaw using a jig of his own design to calculate and set angles. His method uses individual segments individually glued for each ring. He uses a face plate sander, combining it with his angle jig on his lathe to obtain accurate angles and smoothness for his individual pieces. Not as elegant as your method and I would suggest nowhere near as quick; but one can, with a minimum of equipment and diligence, end up with some interesting and elegant stuff using his method.

In March this year, I was in attendance at my own wood turning guild when one of our members demonstrated his own self built ring cutter. Being a retired machining shop owner and still owning some machinery, he built his own ring cutting device. His device was a great thing, but I like the simplicity of your method better.

I note you appear to be using a single sided steady, is this to allow for the pressure from internal cutting?

I am not a super fan of segmented turning, but I can see that I'll have to do at least one in the future to get them out of my system.

Mick.
    Hey Mick....yes.. I use the bowl steady on large thin bowls to prevent chatter when turning the inside. I don't do much spindle turning so I don't have a steady rest which supports the work piece from 3 sides... I find the bowl steady isn't really needed on a thicker bowl but find it very useful on the thinner ones.. To prevent chatter when I turn the outside of the bowl I put a scrap piece of wood across the open end of the bowl and hold it in place with the tailstock...

CAM00246.jpg

Barry, thanks for your explanation. Your scrap piece of timber across the top of the bowl to eliminate chatter, is neat.

Mick.