Hi guys. Over here in in Ireland/UK we rarely see 5hp single phase motors used due to the high start up current, and machines like large bandsaws are not offered with single phase motors.

At our 220V single phase the plated current is roughly 16A, but they apparently can draw x5 or up to 80A on start up. Which is a problem, since most incoming service provider fuses are only 60A, with (not always) the possibility of an upgrade to 80A.

At least some of the few items with large e.g. 4kW 'single phase' motors like Felder saws actually seem to use 3 phase motors driven by VFDs (inverters) to control the start up current.

Yet in the US many of the big bandsaws etc seem to be offered in 5HP/3.75kW sizes.

I guess i'm wondering (i have a big 3 phase bandsaw to run from single phase, and am exploring rotary converters, dual voltage motors with a VFD and conversion to single phase) how you guys get around this issue? Maybe you have a 100A supply or something???

Does anybody know if the single phase motors supplied on these machines stock single phase types, or do they use Felder's VFD/dual voltage trick or capacitors enable them to start against load?

Do stock single phase motors present any problems when starting a big bandsaw with cast iron bandwheels, or with the slightly less robust performance of single phase motors?

Thank you,

ian