Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Deal... Should I have Any Concerns?

Went and looked at it and there is a lot of really nice, solid hardwood. Mostly walnut, and cherry with a bit of maple and oak. It is grooved and tongued in a variety of widths and lengths. I talked it over and settled on a $200.00 "value" against the purchase. He also added in a bunch of really nice bundles of exotic woods like Olive, Jatoba, Tigerwood and a bit of Purpleheart...

I figure I will cherry pick the stuff I want to play with, the stuff I want to use to finish my stairs, and the stuff to laminate a bench top and the rest I will deal with... Probably not the best deal I have made but it will be good practice for me!

I think you got a lot of great advice.

On looking at the wood on MY living room floor, the T&G leaves noticeable "seams --" seams that -- if I were using it, in glue-ups, on its flat face -- I'd want to joint out to eliminate.

It sounds like ... in either case ... you should prepare yourself for a fair amount of milling, and a rather low % yield.

But ... good wood is good wood

Blog Entries
    Bob,

Whatever you don't think you'll use, consider putting it up here for sale. Once every few weeks someone will post deals for flat-rate shipments of various wood pieces they have on hand. Not sure it would be cheap sending to the States, but maybe someone in CA will get a good deal, and it may just pay for the entire lot if you sell enough.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sum Up

The price is low but you will need to put in a lot of labor to end up with a lot of small thin pieces. Will you really need 1000 square feet of this stuff to make boxes?