Thread: Dust colloctor question

Dust colloctor question

I have the infamous Harbor Freight dust collector and ran into what may or may not be a problem. I am getting ready to put duct work up in the shop for dust collection and kinda jumped the gun and bought all 6" for the main line. When I looked closed at the dust collector I noticed that it has a double 4" splitter which was over a 5" single intake. My question is, would I be better off still running a 6" main line and just put a reducer on the dust collector to take the 6" duct down to 5"? Or should I take all my 6" back and get 5" for the main? Or should I put the double 4" splitter back on and go from those two to the single 6" (this option doesn't make much sense to me but I thought I'd throw it in there anyway)

Also, what are the best online (or local) sources to get the various y connectors and 45's for the drops? I'm under the impression that I don't want 90 degree drops from the main but I'm a little unclear as to how exactly I should be fitting the drops. I see a lot of "wye" thrown around but I'm not picture how that would fit into the main line for the drops. Anyone have some good pictures of dust collection in their shop?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Not sure on the HF model, but most dc units you can pull off the plate that houses the 5" inlet and make your own with a 6" inlet from plywood.

Also Mcmaster carr is a good online source for ducting.

Blog Entries
    Your choice is going to be stick with the 6" or drop down to 4". There is no 5" pvc!!!
    You'll see less dynamic pressure drop reducing right at the inlet to the DC.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-03-2010 at 2:57 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I think Lee means there is no 5" in PVC/plastic. 5" is readily available but as you have already got the 6", I would adapt to that. If you upgrade later, 6" is pretty common for most larger units that home hobbyists use based on a lot of the posts here and on other forums. Just my .02.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Worked fine for me, just remove the Y and build up the outside of the opening with duct tape till the 6" fits...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Your choice is going to be stick with the 6" or drop down to 4". There is no 5" !!!
    You'll see less dynamic pressure drop reducing right at the inlet to the DC.
    I must be missing something...why are you saying there is no 5"? I have seen 5" at both Home Depot and Lowes for sale. It can also be purchased many places online (ex. http://www.blowerwheel.com/duct-connectors.htm). Are you just saying that 5" is never used in dust collection for some reason?

I looked at some pictures and I think I understand how to do the drops with the wye (and other) fittings now. My dilemma remains what to do at the dust collector. Are there any threads or websites explaining how to do this trick of making the intake on the DC 6" using plywood? Is that necessary? Again, I have the 2hp Harbor Freight DC. Any other thoughts?

Matt, why use duct tape to build it up to the 6" rather than just use a 6" to 5" reducer? Just cheaper? or another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    I must be missing something...why are you saying there is no 5"? I have seen 5" at both Home Depot and Lowes for sale. It can also be purchased many places online (ex. http://www.blowerwheel.com/duct-connectors.htm). Are you just saying that 5" is never used in dust collection for some reason?

I looked at some pictures and I think I understand how to do the drops with the wye (and other) fittings now. My dilemma remains what to do at the dust collector. Are there any threads or websites explaining how to do this trick of making the intake on the DC 6" using plywood? Is that necessary? Again, I have the 2hp Harbor Freight DC. Any other thoughts?

Matt, why use duct tape to build it up to the 6" rather than just use a 6" to 5" reducer? Just cheaper? or another reason?

I think Lee meant that PVC is not available in 5" diameter. Metal is.

You can use a reducer to bring your 6" down to 5" at the intake if you like, but it may restrict your airflow. It would be better to adapt the intake to 6".

If you look at the DC, there is a large plate that the intake is mounted on, with about a dozen screws in it that can be removed to take the plate off. Simply make a plywood disc that same size, and cut a 6" hole in the center of it. Here is a picture of how I did that to my DC:

Barry it may not be necessary, but if you want to run 6" duct then you may as well run 6" at the collector. I've seen a couple writeups on how it is done, its not that complicated. 1st you will need to remove the impeller cover, appears to have 12 bolts holding it on, next take the cover and trace it onto a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut out your circle and drill for the 12 bolt holes. next you will need a piece of your 6" ducting with a flange on it, cut a hole in the center of the plywood circle for the ducting, (cut the hole so the duct will just slide through) the flange will be used to attach to the plywood with screws. rebolt on your new impellor cover and you will have a 6" inlet. There are a few threads with pics on how its done somewhere here on smc.

Thanks Dan, you beat me to it, thats the pic I was thinking of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    You can use a reducer to bring your 6" down to 5" at the intake if you like, but it may restrict your airflow. It would be better to adapt the intake to 6".

If you look at the DC, there is a large plate that the intake is mounted on, with about a dozen screws in it that can be removed to take the plate off. Simply make a plywood disc that same size, and cut a 6" hole in the center of it.
    Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for! I just took the plate off and it looks easy enough. Thanks a lot!

Jeff, I know Dan beat you to it but thanks for the info. You gave me a little more than what the picture could show (screwing the flange to the plywood).

Thanks again everyone!

P.S. These damn fittings and adapters are way more expensive than I anticipated.