Thread: Sell several tools, buy a couple good ones?

Sell several tools, buy a couple good ones?

Folks, I'd be grateful for a little advice.

Over the last couple of years, I've built up my shop from RIDGID tools. I picked up 2x R4511, 1x TS3660, the jointer, (bandsaw), drill press, planer, and three sanders. I also picked up the RIDGID RAS used.

The bandsaw is in parentheses because I just sold it last night, it didn't last very long as a starter bandsaw. I'll be ordering the G0513P today to replace it. One of the R4511s is on Craigslist to make up the funding.

Now it occurred to me that I really don't need two table saws in my basement shop (the other one was in the garage), especially with the RAS, but perhaps I could do the same scheme to upgrade the jointer if I sold my RIDGID jointer and the other R4511. I think I could get into an 8" Grizzly (~$6-700) for what I could probably sell the pair for.

That would leave me with the TS3660, which I much prefer using over the R4511. The interface between me and the saw is the fence, and the fence on the 3660 is a beauty, where the one on the R4511 is just about adequate. Dust collection on the TS3660 is on a par with the fence on the R4511 though. So I'm thinking of building the Tablesaw/Routing Center from the Wood Magazine plans. Then I'd be back in business with a solid heavy saw and better router station than the simple table I have right now on the wing of the saw. The R4511 has a riving knife of sorts, but to be honest, it isnt much better than the splitter on the 3660.

So folks, am I on the right lines, or should I be doing something else? The bandsaw's a done deal, I'll be calling Mr Grizzly today. But I'm hesitating over listing the other R4511 (and jointer) as it is in theory a better saw than the contractor TS3660. I just didn't find it any better.

Any thoughts, confirmations, or virtual slapping appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I might sell the table saws to fund a cabinet saw instead of the jointer. I think you will move up more in capability and quality going that route. Or you could do what I usually do, if I have the machine itch I always just consider which machine do I least like to use, that is usually the one I would benefit more from upgrading.

Blog Entries
    It's hard to give advice without knowing what deficiencies in your existing tool set you're trying to correct. Is the jointer not giving you enough capacity? Most of the stock that I can get locally tends to be 5-6" wide so a 6" jointer is enough, I'm not sure what your situation is in terms of availability. The next size up tends to be 12" widths so my 8" jointer doesn't afford me any benefit.

It sounds like you're happy with the TS3660 so I would suggest holding onto that... properly tuned it will cut just as well as an expensive cabinet saw (slower but same cut quality).

I think building the saw and router center are an excellent idea. You're probably going to get a lot more capability by improving the TS infeed and outfeed systems. A router table will be a nice addition as well. Although not as sexy as a new tool, shop furniture (assembly tables, rolling carts, etc.) can greatly improve your work flow and safety.

I think their are malevolent jointer imps that make sure whatever lumber you are finding is always a bit larger than your jointer will handle. I got the Shopsmith jointer because everything I touched was narrow enough to run over it. Then, bang, all the goodies I found were 5-6" wide. Picked up a used Boise Crane 6" jointer and now I have a beautiful selection of Ambrosia Maple all 8-10" wide

Thanks for the replies guys. Half my problem (and I know some people will identify with this!) is that I've bought tools that I didn't need because there was a deal on them at the time. I've ended up with lots of tools (rarely a bad thing!) but not necessarily the right tools.

My jointer is WAY better than the one I didn't have before! But then I do find it a little limiting in that the beds are shortish, and I do find 6-7-8 inch lumber at my local yard. Actually quite a lot of wider boards. Peach State Lumber is only about 2 miles from me.

With the bandsaw, I realised I was putting much more time, effort & money into it than was sensible. Not to mention frustration trying to make the best of a basic tool. So move up a gear to a much better tool to begin with, and lose an unused table saw.

The one tool that's taken my eye recently is a lathe. Wifey seems to like that too, she asked about "round things".

Maybe the answer is to keep the 6" jointer and morph the other R4511 into a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Maybe the answer is to keep the 6" jointer and morph the other R4511 into a lathe.
    It all depends on what you make.

I have a nice lathe, but sadly due to other projects/priorities, I've maybe used it 5 hours over the last 4 years. It's a lot of fun but doesn't really lend itself to what I am building now.. Plus there are additional costs of chucks, turning tools, sharpening systems..

I'm not trying to discourage you, but lathe work is kind of different than furniture building.. It's really more about making art, not necessarily practical things.. Sure, you can incorporate turnings into furniture, but at least for me, I'm not willing to add extra time to a projec to do that (at this point in my life).

If you've got the turning bug, go for it.. otherwise upgrade your tablesaw or joiner.

That's a good point, and partly why I'm re-doing things. So far I've made shelves, bookcases, boxes, cutting boards and a myriad of things for the shop. However, all of these are basically rectangular, hence the wife's interest in "round things" I guess. A decent bandsaw will help there too.

I saw a thing called a routerlathe that really took my eye, the spirals and such that are made possible with that greatly attract me, and it's relatively inexpensive used. However, I'm thinking you need a cylindrical blank to begin with, in order to get good results. Thus a full-size "proper" lathe would be required.

So I'm wanting to change what I make into more "interesting" pieces than basic rectangles or straight lines.

This discussion is really helping me shape my thoughts, thanks guys!

If you are considering a lathe, I would recomend the delta 1460. You should be able to get one for a few hundred dollars, and you would need to spend a few thousand to get much greater capability.

It's in the class of tools that I consider to be "free to use tools"

They are cheap to buy, cost little to maintain, and in 2 or 22 years, you will be able to sell it without loosing your shirt.

unisaw, powermatic 66, delta hd shaper, delta 14 inch bandsaw, delta dj20 etc.