Thread: Fiber to the Shop

Fiber to the Shop

The construction on the gas main in front of our house was finally completed last month which meant my contractor came out the week before last to start converting all our propane appliances to natural gas. Part of the job was to run a gas line from the house to the shop, so at the same time, I had him run a second trench for me. That trench got two 1-1/2" PVC conduits from the garage to the shop. Last weekend I installed new communications cabling including a copper phone line and fiber for Ethernet communication to the shop PC, which also serves as off-site backup for the computer in the house.

At each end I built up a couple panels like this. The panels were surplus metal cabinets I bought a few years back for another project and found they didn't fit my needs. They were a little ugly so they got a quick coat of paint. Each houses a fiber-Ethernet converter and a wireless access point. I found an Ebay seller with the right combination of parts to extend the antenna for the router outside the box. I run a third-party firmware on the Linksys routers so I just shut the second antenna off. The 6-port patch panels are Leviton from their home automation system. I found them on clearance at the BORG a while back for a couple bucks each.

Due to finding the right combination of deals on Ebay, the 125' fiber cable and converters were just over $100. Direct-bury rated CAT5e cable for phone also came from Ebay in a shorter length than I could buy conventionally. The routers I already had as a wireless link from the house to the shop. The shop keeps a wireless access point mostly because I had it but also in case I want to bring the work laptop out for some reason.

For phone, since I work from home we have two lines. I brought both out to the shop. A surplus two-line office phone, again from Ebay and two LOUD ringers with flashers went in the shop. I can tell which line is ringing at a glance. Protocol if LOML is home is that I won't answer the home phone, but if caller ID says home is calling work, I'll answer that if I'm able to. Its pretty rare I get after-hours work calls anyway so chances are that it'll be her.

It was a lot of work and somewhat expensive, but its nice to now have a working phone in the shop instead of an unreliable extension off our cordless system in the house. And real through-put on the wired vs. wireless is something like 4-5 times faster according to a little tester app I have meaning backups complete much faster.

Oh, and that other conduit--it just has a pullstring for future use. No plans to use it but the $30-something in materials to put it in while the trench was open was good insurance that I'll never need it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-04-2010 at 10:55 AM.

You win. I've got the conduit in... it's just been so freaking hot to crawl around in the attic ....and I'm a bit too busy.... to pull and pretty things up at the ends. Nice job - I hadn't though of putting the converter in the box too. Gotta look for bigger boxes

I'm hoping to find a little time in the next two weeks.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Matt,

Nice setup! I like the idea of your backup being offsite in your shop. I am curious about why you went with fiber over copper for the Ethernet link. Was it because of the distance involved? I don't really know much about fiber setups and am hoping to learn something today.

-Todd
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Todd, there's a long thread here where Mitchell asked about running ethernet. I was planning the same at the time, but someone posted about considering fiber and then...

My insurance agent actually gave me the idea for the backup. He said that since my shop is about 120' from the house the odds of losing both are very, very small even from a tornado.

Matt, thanks for the link. Lots of good info in that thread.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Smile powerline ethernet

For those of you who can't trench and run fiber.. I've had good luck running my ethernet over my powerline connnections to my shop using these

Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine AV Ethernet Adapter Kit

I originally had another brand.. which died in about 9 months, but the linksys model seems to be more reliable, zero setup, about 200 mbit/sec speed (not fiber, but fast enough for live video).. They probably won't communicate across a transformer if you have a separate pole and transformer for your shop. I have 3 working now.. with either direct connections or wireless routers attached.

Blog Entries
    Super clean job Matt. That should be a solid setup for a long time to come.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't understand why you ran fiber either... what was the advantage?

never mind - lightning storm concerns?
    Last edited by Matt Armstrong; 09-06-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Matt,
    You have come a long way since your first thread. The install looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Armstrong View Post

Yes, exactly. And buying a surplus fiber cable assembly and cheap SOHO-grade media converters was actually cheaper than outdoor rated CAT5e and APC surge protectors that may or may not have actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Armstrong View Post

For me it's a distance thing. My shop is 230' or so and the cable needs to be almost 300' to allow for routing through the house to the router. This is nearly the limit for a good signal. Fiber is good for a mile or more.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC