Thread: New shop floor question

New shop floor question

I'm trying to get alot of floor out of a small budget. Which would be cheaper a wooden floor or a concrete floor. I'm looking at a 24 x 30
    Donny

It depends on what you are doing. They aren't exactly interchangeable. You're not going to put a wood floor down just over dirt.

Call around, but I suspect you'll find that a wooden floor is substantially cheaper. It will also allow you to put substantial insulation under the floor (if that's a factor where you live), as well as making it easier to put dust collection and electrical under the floor as well. Plan it right and you could even make the floor panels removable if necessary to reroute stuff later.

Do note though that a wooden floor will typically mean you can't bring a vehicle into the building.

Right now I'm trying to save all I can so I will have enough to have something to work in. I don't plan on driving on at all.Just as long as it will hold woodworking tools I will be fine.
    Donny

Wood is a lot easier on the feet and legs as you get older. I would say wood is cheaper and does not require the site preparation that a slab does. Sawmill lumber can save a lot of money over finished lumber where I live.

I replaced part of my garage floor a couple years ago. I did all the site prep and hired a couple guys to pour a 10 x 20 area. I cost me $600.00. That was the low bidder. They did a fantastic job.

A wood floor is something you can tackle yourself. You can easily install electrical into the floor and even dust collection.

If it was me, I would use wood. I have concrete only because my shop came with it.

Good luck,

Bill

I don't think it is as clear but as people make it seem.

Concrete depends on a lot of things BUT if you need minamal site prep you can probably come in under $3 per square concrete/form/finish. But that depends on a lot of things. Unless you plan to DIY the wood floor it may cost as much or more.

I am a serious concrete guy for a MACHINE filled shop, for a handtool shop wood makes a lot of sense. You have to build a serious wood floor to accept the serious weight of large power tools you may happen upon over the years.

You are probably going to have to bid both since it is hard to know what you plan to do. A 24X30 shop is probably going to run in the 18-20K range wired and finished (on the modest end) so the flooring option probably will not make a very big % difference in the overall cost. There are plenty of places I would cut corners before the floor, it is one of the hardest things to upgrade in the future.