Thread: Harbour Freight DC with 2 stage separator

Harbour Freight DC with 2 stage separator

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I do frequently visit this site for valuable advice. My question surrounds the HF 2 HP DC system. I am about to purchase this DC as it is on sale for 139 bucks!!! Anyways, I was wondering if it is advisable to connect my Highland Hardware 2 stage separator between the DC and the (soon to be) 5 or 6" (haven't determined which to start with yet) main? The HH 2 stage comes standard with a 4" inlet and outlet. Would it be better to swap out the 4" inlet/outlet with say a 5 or 6" or just not use it at all? HH swears by the effectiveness of the 2 stage, but seems to me it is more intended for smaller size DC units (even though they say 1-2HP units). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!http://www.monstermarketplace.com/wo...dust-separator

Thanks in advance all

Look into building a Thien Cyclone separator with in / outlets sized to match your duct. I have the HF 2HP DC with a Thien cyclone and it does a good job for me!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Not a bad price. But, David has the right idea.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

If it's a trash can separator & you modify it to run 6" duct it will suck the trash can empty.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    If it's a trash can separator & you modify it to run 6" duct it will suck the trash can empty.
    Which is why a Thien baffle is a good idea. I built mine into the Dust collector funnel. There are several people that have variations of Harbor Freight blowers and Thien baffles. Try this--click on "search" above then "advanced search". For key words type "Thien baffle" then look down a little ways for the time you want to search. I picked 6 month and newer. Got 2 pages worth of threads. There are some creative ideas there. IMO the Thien baffle installed in a single stage D.C. is the best return on investment in dust/chip control.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-07-2010 at 7:09 PM.

Thanks everyone for the responses. After giving more thought to the idea (and not mention that I've recently received a nice little bonus at work) I have convinced my wife to let me treat myself to the GODS of dust collection - a cyclone! I am really looking at the Grizzly. Looks like they have a great product at a very reasonable price. I've done alot of research over the past week or so and I think this is something that will compliment my shop very nicely

You are one lucky man... In this day and age, a bonus on the job for most people means they get to come back to work the next day...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...