Thread: Lighting question

Lighting question

I've been in my new shop for almost a year and a half now. It measures 24'x24'. I currently have six 4' fluorescent lights evenly spaced in it. The problem I have is they are not made for cold weather. By the time I get them warm enough to come on, if ever, I'm finished working. Do any of you have a good lighting scheme for cold weather? I really like the fluorescent lights when the weather is warm enough for them to work. I would appreciate any input.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Keel, go to a real electric supply house not home boy depot or lowes and get fixtures with electronic balast and all will be good, they don't buzz either.

Dave
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

Keel, You can get replacement ballasts for your existing fixtures which are electronic at home depot. That will make them start when cold. You could also get T8 ballasts and tubes if you want which are better yet.
    Dick in Emmett, Idaho

...or, you could move to Florida...

lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

get T8s

I think that the ballasts for T8 lights handle cold better. My 4 foot T8s turned on instantly a few evenings ago when it was about -10 Clecius inside the workshop. (I think that this is about 15 Farenheit.) The manuafacturer of the light fixtures is Canadain so I expect you can't get them -but I believe that any T8 fixtures are probably OK.

I bought some cheap 4' T-8 Elec Ballast units from HD or Lowes for something like 20$ each .. they work well and come on in sub-zero weather fine. I was amazed at price.

T8 Light @ Home Depot Link
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I think that the ballasts for T8 lights handle cold better. My 4 foot T8s turned on instantly a few evenings ago when it was about -10 Clecius inside the workshop. (I think that this is about 15 Farenheit.) The manuafacturer of the light fixtures is Canadain so I expect you can't get them -but I believe that any T8 fixtures are probably OK.
    Frank,

I'm planning on using t8's in my shop based on what I've read here from you and other guys . Do t8 fixtures all come with electronic ballasts or do you have to get a better grade of fixture?

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Morrissette
    Frank,

I'm planning on using t8's in my shop based on what I've read here from you and other guys . Do t8 fixtures all come with electronic ballasts or do you have to get a better grade of fixture?

Lou
    I don't know if they ALL do. Mine did.

Do like I do, Heat the shop 24/7. It makes for a much better work enviroment as well. I have the thremostat set at 60* The heater comes on at about 57* and turns off at about 61*. I have found this too be about perfect for working.

And the cheap lights I have all work, all the time I need them. Lest a power falure.

Thanks all of you. I will try your ideas. I agree that the best thing would be to either heat the shop 24/7, or move to Florida! Wonder what my wife would say?!? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Keel McDonald; 12-15-2004 at 9:03 AM.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    I bought some cheap 4' T-8 Elec Ballast units from HD or Lowes for something like 20$ each .. they work well and come on in sub-zero weather fine. I was amazed at price.

T8 Light @ Home Depot Link
    $20?! I just bought one (4', 2-bulb) for $8 at Lowes!! Not sure what type of ballast it has but it works GREAT! AND it comes on with no problems at 40 degrees (which is considered below zero in Florida )
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    .....or move to Florida! Wonder what my wife would say?!? Thanks for your input.
    I think you might have to take her with you!

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gartin
    $20?! I just bought one (4', 2-bulb) for $8 at Lowes!! Not sure what type of ballast it has but it works GREAT! AND it comes on with no problems at 40 degrees (which is considered below zero in Florida )
    That would be the cheap T-12 light. They do work fine until the tempureture get into the 20`s and maybe even lower 30`s. These are the type I have. Once they need replaced, I will get the much better T-8 lights one at a time. So that in 20 years I should have them all replaced with by then will be the cheap ones. I try to stay at least one step behind everyone else.