Thread: Pergo T-molding

Pergo T-molding

I'm installing transition molding between one Pergo laminate floor in the kitchen, to a second Pergo floor in the Playroom. Problem is, the kitchen surface is about 1/4 inch higher than than Playroom floor.

Using Pergo's 4-in-1 molding kit, would it be better to use the T-molding at a slight angle or instead, install the "hard surface reduction" option instead.

If I use the hard surface reducer, I'll produce a clear bump in the floor between the rooms, since the difference between the floor heights is minimal.

But if I install just the t-molding, the angled installation might leave it too weak to support all the back-and-forth activity.

Any advice?

Thanks much, - Leo

We did something like this -- new laminate into the kitchen down to the existing hardwood in the dining room. We had about a 1/2 gap, and we used a transition strip shored up with some trim underneath for the transition. Definitely works well.

I also did a few transitions on my FIL rental. I would go for having the transition element supported, otherwise with the height difference, it will slowly rock loose.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

IMO the T-transition won't hold up if installed at an angle - the tapered edge on the high side will be unsupported and crack quickly. The gap under it will collect dirt, too. You might be able to mill the reducer to the proper thickness to give you a "bumpless" transition. I have milled custom transition pieces to deal with these problems a couple of times, then stain to match and prefinish before installing. If the high side edge is not clean and straight, you could make the piece a little thicker and cut a shallow rabbet to lap over the edge with a roundover to prevent tripping. It all sounds like a PITA but time spent up front is less of a bother than time spent replacing the transition every few months.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Blog Entries
    My advice is to make your own transition piece and make the top parallel to the floor surface. With a little care you can easily make a transition piece that will match and look better than a cobbled together piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, Ben, Chris -- thank you for your thoughtful replies, and excellent advice. It's clear I need to do some custom work here, and that the stock Pergo molding alone won't do the trick.

Fortunately, this is an indoor project and can wait a few weeks until I can spend time on the milling/trimming details.

Thanks again!
    - Leo