Thread: Looking for recommendations for heating.

Looking for recommendations for heating.

I want to install heating in the office I have in my shop so that I can keep it above freezing even when I'm not heating the rest of the building. I'm thinking that I want to use some kind of electric heat due to the small space and the trouble of running gas lines about 20' from the shop furnace. I'm looking for recommendations.

When I finished the inside of the building, I planned for eventually doing this and insulated the walls and ceiling. Before installing the heat, I'll be installing some of those OSB subfloor tiles and some type of linoleum flooring over the existing concrete. The office is approximately 6x10 with a 7' ceiling. The walls shared with the outside of the building are insulated with 6" fiberglass and the walls and ceiling which are inside the shop are insulated with 4" fiberglass. From manufacturer web sites, it doesn't sound like using a portable is a good idea for unattended use. There is one circuit currently in the room for 3 receptacles and the ceiling light (2-tube flourescent.) No, I didn't think to run a separate circuit while the walls were open.

Matt

Since you haven't laid the flooring yet, why not consider radiant floor heating. It can be run from a 110v circuit and put on a timer.

Otherwise, I would consider a through the wall unit. If you have a need, a heat/cool pump unit can be installed. I use a combo heat/cool pump in my garage and it runs from a 220v 15Amp circuit.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

You might look into some of the protable elctric units you can get at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. I have a couple of the ceramic heaters I use in my 34' RV and they keep it nice and toasty and they arent expensive.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

Hi Matt,

I have some eletric baseboard units that run off of 220 that I took out of my house last year when I put in a heat pump. Send me a PM if you are interested.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery