Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shiraz, Please Make the New Grizzly Drill Press With ...

Great list for a super drill press. I would like to add this to the list:

- Very low vibrations (should be simple if build correct)
    - Now this one may never happen, but make the drill head move-able in the vertical direction.

More detail on the latter. The few times I had to assemble/disassemble a drill press, floor standing model, its been a pain due to the weight. It had to happen several times since I have moved it once and I have added a mobile base (with build in sand) to it as well. Why not have a way to raise it using the column. One could assemble it laying down, raise it (would be simpler due to the low gravity point), then raise the head. Some lifts the drill head on top, I've used pulleys etc my self. But it would be nice to not have that issue to deal with.

Smile

Been using my delta for aluminum and brass , added the a cross slide vice. The chuck has some wobble unfortunately, but it works great on wood nice add on. A cheep milling machine would be very nice .

Through some thin drawers for bits and gauges
    and the cup holder .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Oh so tempting though...especially since I'm sure the bulb isn't labeled to tell me NOT to do this....
    HAH, HAH, hAH, TOO FUNNY.

Im older drill press versus new.

check out the drill press section
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-04-2011 at 7:15 PM. Reason: removed personal commercial website URL

I e-mailed Grizzly a couple weeks back on the timing of the new Drill Press and the answer was still many months away. I'd like to hold out but I may have to buy one of the Delta's.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe that anyone builds a DP without a quill lock, heck even my 20 year old Craftsman has one. It also has a real skinny belt and only two pullies with 8 grooves and 8 speeds 380-8550 rpm. Real easy to change speeds. I have even done production work on it and used it with a tapping machine. Never wore out a belt on it. Ok, so it is "torque limiting" at low rpms due to belt slippage with say a flycutter, but that is a good thing. Do wish it had a crank to lift the head though. For real serious stuff, say using a hole saw to fishmouth a piece of pipe for welding, I have my mini-mill.

Edit: Today I stopped at Performance tool and didn't see a quill lock on almost 10 DP's, several approaching a grand. Man was I surprised. I couldn't live without one.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-05-2011 at 8:06 PM.

Y'all forgot power feed, reverse and automatic sweat wiper...
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    An optional horizontal position lock to allow raising and lowering the table without losing your drill contact point.
    Nice point. If you can raise and lower the table maintaining the contact point, then you can drill past the Quill Travel Limit, no matter what it maybe.
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 08-09-2011 at 10:04 AM.