Thread: PM1300 w/can vs Jet 1100CK

PM1300 w/can vs Jet 1100CK

What do you get for $120 extra for PM version? Is it worth to pay the difference for the 1/4 extra HP which doesn't seem to translate onto CFM difference and a digital timer and remote on the PM vs Jet?

Either one would be a vast improvement over what I am using now; a $75 HF blower rigged to be the shop DC. I also use a separator lid/can in between. It is very noisy (motor that is) and the remote I use from Rockler doesn't work most of the time.

Should I keep my $120 and buy another SW from Chris or I would be happier with the PM w/remote etc? Sale ends this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Considering the loudness of the Jet/PM models (mid-80s+ dBa), I didn't feel it was much quieter than the HF model I'm using (100+dBa), and the "on sale" price wasn't too inviting. Penn State has a 2HP model for $270 that runs at mid-60s dBa... much quieter and much cheaper.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Considering the loudness of the Jet/PM models (mid-80s+ dBa), I didn't feel it was much quieter than the HF model I'm using (100+dBa), and the "on sale" price wasn't too inviting. Penn State has a 2HP model for $270 that runs at mid-60s dBa... much quieter and much cheaper.
    I don't know if you have heard both models or are just comparing spec sheets, but if the numbers really are 100dBa+ vs 80dBa+, that is a difference of 4X - every 10dB is a perceived doubling of loudness. That is a pretty big difference to me!

I have a ClearVue Cyclone and it ran 90dBa close to the unit or so. I built a closet around it with sound absorbing foam (left over from my home studio days), and the difference is easily 10dB - a HUGE improvement. Now it's bearable without hearing protection. Every time I open the door to the closet with the unit running reminds me how good a move the closet was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornish View Post
    I don't know if you have heard both models or are just comparing spec sheets, but if the numbers really are 100dBa+ vs 80dBa+, that is a difference of 4X - every 10dB is a perceived doubling of loudness. That is a pretty big difference to me!
    Exactly... so imagine the difference with a 65 dBa unit. Wrap that in a foam-filled box and things get really quiet...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornish View Post
    I don't know if you have heard both models or are just comparing spec sheets, but if the numbers really are 100dBa+ vs 80dBa+, ...
    Specs claim that Jet is 70-80 @3ft and PM 75-90dB. I would suspect PM would be the "quiter" one of the two but hard to tell since the dB reporting has no standards.

I'll take a look at the Penn State too.

I have a pm1300, its a great dust collector, I have never used the timer but I use the remote every time I start it up. The dc is in another room so a remote is a must for me, the cfm is great compared to my old delta 3/4 hp. bag model. I am looking at getting a thien seperator or putting a cyclone seperator inline for it now, I loose cfm quickly when using my drum sander, otherwise its been a great unit.

Something that I noticed was how much quieter my G0562Z was when hooked to a good length of pipe with blast gates to control air flow,must have cut the air noise by ten db.That cuts it from 87 to 77 still loud but better, if a person can get it in a closet it would be barely noticable. My vote would be for the PM on sale, however you might take a look at the Grizzley G0562Z double bag for 595.00, I've had it for right at a year and I love mine.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN

had a Penn State "DC" .......... the DC part is in quotes because it sucked badly and not much dust

when i took it apart to find out if i could improve the DC part of it i discovered that the impeller was AT LEAST 4" smaller in diameter than the enclosure no wonder it wouldn't collect dust

replaced it with a 2HP grizzly and never looked back

i won't be buying another PSI Dc ever

portable dust collectors

looking for reviews of portable dust collectors - found one that prioritized JET 1100, Delta 760 and possible a Grizzly (all 1.5 hp) as being good brands/models based on testing of actual CFM (no discussion of loudness). still looking for good reviews

Would the use of a cannister filter and/or cyclone add-on impact the sound (reduce loudness?).-
    Last edited by nic zavolas; 09-10-2010 at 4:03 PM.