Thread: I has a predicament! GLOAT :)

I has a predicament! GLOAT :)

So I has a predicament. I found this guy that was selling some Walnut and some Pine. I figured I couldn't afford the walnut so was going for the pine. He tells me he is moving and needs to get rid of as much as possible and will sell me all the walnut he has for $200. Tells me there's probably 12 pieces. When I showed to his house I had myself a minor stroke. I did not realize he meant this much wood! Came from a 200 year old tree cut down 4 years ago and has been dried already. So my predicament is I has nowhere to put it

And no, you can't has none of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

If ya won't share, the suffer baby suffer!!

Nice grab... I'll be the first to say YOU SUCK!!!

Time to build a shed!!! Do you not have an attic or basement or any kind of storage area? I would just have to think there is somewhere you can store it...

Sorry Jim, I'm stingy.

Dave, my attic is full of my wife's shi...ummm..stuff... I live in Savannah, Ga. Not allowed to have basements because of sea level. The guy I got it from had it sitting on pallets in a carport tent. Really nice setup and thinkin I might buy it from him since that's up for sale too.

Joe, hard to tell from looking, but there appears to be a lot of sapwood there. If that doesn't bother you, then it looks like a good score. On the other hand, if you are after heartwood, my guess is that you are paying about $3-4/ft for what is there. Don't want to rain on the parade, but unless there is a lot of clear heartwood, it may not be a steal. Probably not a bad buy, but I haven't seen the wood and don't know.

If you are careful,you can just stain the sapwood to match the heart wood. there was an article on it a few issues ago in FWW. Of course,if the sapwood is punky,you can't use it.

I've had GREAT success using Behler's NGR dyes in matching sap/reddish walnut to the more desired chocolate walnut.

Don't hate on the sapwood!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Let me be the 100th person to say/think...I'll be glaaaaaaaaaaad to help you out.

Very nice haul.
    I drink, therefore I am.

If it's already dried, instead of buying/building something to store it in, start building something with it. It's a lot of wood, but a couple of good sized projects, sans plywood, and you'll put a pretty good dent in that pile.

And, You Suck!

Blog Entries
    Hey, Mike... ROAD TRIP!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks guys, yeah John, it's about half and half. I dont mind the sapwood. I've worked with it before and my wife actually likes the coloration difference between the two. I saw some furniture the guy made with the rest of it and he did the same, mixed in sapwood with the heartwood and didnt worry about staining to match. Really looked good.

Actually, now that I have good light (picked it up at 5 this morning so a little dark) and looked at the pieces good, it's about 3/4 heartwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've had GREAT success using Behler's NGR dyes in matching sap/reddish walnut to the more desired chocolate walnut.

Don't hate on the sapwood!!
    I've had great luck using blue diamond brand matches and an old fire place to remove the sap from walnut! Its pretty, but don't count on it much. Its about as stable as a band of drunken monkeys. I love the contrast in some cases and would personally either keep the sap in or cut it out, but don't generally care to dye it.

That's a decent score there. What will you make?

Thanks Peter. First project is a couple simple 2 drawer nightstands for the bedroom. No idea what the rest will make. This is the first rough cut batch I've ever worked with so it's more of a learning process for me than to worry about the sapwood and heartwood so much.

No lumber mill anywhere around so being that I would have paid out the ying yang to travel somewhere and pay for S2S somewhere else, this is a steal for my area.

you suck! Hard