Thread: Metal bandsaw blade guides on narrow blades?

Metal bandsaw blade guides on narrow blades?

I have a 16" Walker Turner bandsaw with the original 45 degree steel guide blocks. They work great for resawing and wider blades, but I recently tried to do some scroll work on a piece of 1" thick maple with a 3/16" wide blade and they fell seriously short, even after I jointed them flat with a stone, cranked the tension down so much I was worried about the blade, and adjusted the guides too tight.

Is there a better option for narrow blades with a different material, or should I just bite the bullet and get a set of Carters?

When I put a 3/16" blade on my saw and then went to set up the roller guides . . . Oops, no can do unless you want to tear up the bearings and wreck the blade. Blade is much too small for a reliable adjustment. Gotta use the scroll saw.

You can use Cool Blocks for sub 1/8" blades. The Carter Stabilizer is EXCELLENT for curves and narrow blades. It is not so great for straight precision cuts with narrow blades like dovetails.

Can coolblocks be milled to be at an angle? The guides on my saw look like this:
    http://ilikerust.com/Machines/Walker...GuideAfter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    Can coolblocks be milled to be at an angle? The guides on my saw look like this:
    http://ilikerust.com/Machines/Walker...GuideAfter.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't mill them as long as they were the correct size and there was enough material left to secure them. Also not 100% sure Carter makes a stabilizer for the Walker Turner. You could always make wooden guide black.