View Poll Results: Which freud blade coating?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perma-SHIELD® coating

16 84.21%
  • Silver ICE™

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freud Perma-SHIELD® coating or Silver ICE™

Freud Perma-SHIELD® coating or Silver ICE™

On freud blades do you choose Perma-SHIELD® coating or Silver ICE™ and why?

Good question. I've wondered why there were two different coatings as well.

Have you asked Freud CS what the differences are?

I always choose PS since they put it on their most expensive blades, maybe the incorrect approach but I haven't bothered to try to figure it out.

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck with both so I didn't vote.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I voted for Perma Shield as I have some blades with that coating and they seem to be ok. Not familar with the other one.

PHM

I'm going to buck the trend here. I had a Diablo blade with the Perma shield, and for two reasons, when I recently ordered another Freud blade I went with the Silver ICE.

Firstly, Simple Green does a great job of removing the pitch from blades. It also dissolves the red coating a little! Secondly, I lost a tooth from the Diablo, and it might make the repair easier without the red coating.

High end blades from other manufacturers don't seem to use coatings, so I am wondering if it provides much benefit that a little wax wouldn't.

The Silver ICE blade cuts like a dream, but then again it is new, and specifically designed for the RAS it is mounted in.

Infinity uses a "Nickel Armor" coating. So far it looks much better than my blades with no coating. The "Silver Ice" may be something similar. I have the "Perma Shield" coating on a circular saw. So far ok, but it does seem to get marred some. Can't say it's actually a scratch. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Secondly, I lost a tooth from the Diablo, and it might make the repair easier without the red coating.
    Why?

The blade shop would have to remove at least part of the coating around the tooth to braze a new one on. Not that is would be that hard to do, but then you would of course be missing that part of the coating.

I have one of the 80 tooth cross-cut "Avanti" blade with the silver ice and I really like it. I don't know that it is the coating that make it though, it may just be the tooth shape?
    But I was under the impression that Frued killed-off the Avanti line? I'm sure that there is a bunch of them in stock somewhere though.

With such a low level of strong opinion, one has to wonder why they offer both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    The blade shop would have to remove at least part of the coating around the tooth to braze a new one on.
    Wouldn't they also have to do that with the Silver Ice. It's not red, but it's still a coating. Still
    Last edited by Will Overton; 09-12-2010 at 4:49 PM. Reason: spelling

If I had to pay a premium for a coating, I guess I'd rather have the Permashield...it's easier to find in the rack! But, there are a lot of good blades without a coating at all, so I don't put much emphasis on it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Wouldn't the also have to do that with the Silver Ice. It's not red, but it's still a coating. Still

Not necessarily, the Perma-Shield is a "Teflon" type "coating" and fairly thick. The Silver-Ice is more of a "plating". I don't know whether that would have any effect on the brazing?
    I have blades with both, but never had to replace a tooth on any of them.

I get the PS, why because it's Red and I like red.

I do think my blades clean up better that have the PS on them.

I don't own any coated blades for a simple reason, I find the FS Tools blades have performed better for me, and they don't offer any coatings on their tooling.

Makes me think they don't need any since FS isn't exactly the bargain line..........Regards, Rod.