Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another thread on Combo Jointer/planer

Jet J/P fence

It's different but I wouldn't say it's flimsy. The Jet J/P fence does seem sloppy when moving it but once tightened down it's solid. I modified my Jet fence so it would tilt 45 degrees both ways. Even with the longer supports it still seems solid. One thing with an aluminum extrusions vs. cast iron--aluminum doesn't warp. Remember the Delta cast iron jointer fence fiasco when they had to replace a bunch of 'em? Though I guess that's only an issue with new castings.

I have a Jet 12" J/P at home, for the money I have found it an excellent machine. At work I pretty much daily use dedicated SCM (the full-on industrial parent of Minimax) separates*, while the Jet obviously doesn't compare to these it does everything a machine of its class can be expected to do very well. Good results in both modes, fast change-overs and a good fence (I have no problems with mine, well, it's a little fiddly to lock, but that's a minor gripe.) The one feature I do wish it had is dual feed speeds.

* Stealth work-gloat, we just fitted a Shelix to our 15" SCM jointer... Phwoar! That thing is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    It appears that if it wasnt for the dust collection hood the planer could be on the side of the jointer and no change over would be required.
    that's a fact.
    I removed it on my old MiniMax

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have a 15 inch J/P It does a good job. I slide the jointer fence all the way over to the front of the machine and leave it on the machine when planing. Although it doesnt take long to change from jointing to planing it seems like it does, especially cranking the planer table up. It appears that if it wasnt for the dust collection hood the planer could be on the side of the jointer and no change over would be required. My old Ryobi AH115 J/P was like that.
    Mark, wouldn't you then need two 15 inch cutterheads and the machine would be somewhere aroun 36" wide?

Not much money or space savings if that's the case.........Rod.