Thread: Flap Sander?

Flap Sander?

I think a flap sander would be cool to have. I do lots of hobby work and lots of irregular curves. I was thinking of one of the Jet machines, but then started thinking of my lathe, a Jet 1236. I have a Morse Taper 2 drill chuck that fits the 1236. Can I use the chuck or do I need something else? Is there any reason not to use my lathe with the appropriate stuff, to make it a temp flap sander? I have a Big Gulp and a solid dust collector, so that part is mostly handled. Where can I get the flaps? Can I buy a sanding head ready to go, just chuck it up and sand? How about inflatable drums? Ive seen the inflatable drums for sale, but any comments as to where to buy the flap head or inflatable drums would be great. Thx.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I use a flap sander with my Shopsmith. Would be no different than a lathe. I just use a cheap flap sander you get at Lowe's that chucks in a drill chuck.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sanding stuff

You can get pnuematic drums and flapsanders from sand-rite. google it.

I've picked them up from Mikes (local surplus/junk store in Huntsville and Decatur).

Places to buy, or order on-line:
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
    Lee Valley
    Craft Supplies-in Utah
    Woodcraft
    Rockler, maybe
    Woodworkers Supply

Klingspor has some has lots of interesting sanding gizmos for handling curves and profiles.

Look up their Sanding Mop and Mac Mop. I had a thread on them recently.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.