Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music stands We made in Wmsbg.

Music stands We made in Wmsbg.

These are 10 music stands Jon Laubach and I made in the Toolmaker's shop. Actually,there were 12,but 2 didn't make it to the photographer's busy schedule.

This was a project that I in particular didn't want to do. The former cabinet maker used to make these for the music program. About every 2 weeks one would come back with a leg broken off,because they were not properly cared for by the careless musicians. It drove him nuts!! I didn't blame him.

I made my boss promise that We would not be called upon to repair these if we made them.

They were mahogany,as is obvious. The round protrusions are candle stick stands that folded out on either side of the stands.

I don't think I have posted this picture before. It's been a long time since the multiple postings I made previously.

Soon,I will be posting pictures of new work I am currently doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-13-2010 at 1:48 PM.

Very nice George! See, even back in colonial times musicians were destroying their craftsman made equipment

I wonder how often a musician bumped into their stands in a bout of musical tourettes (not the real disorder, but rather the people who get way too far into their music and are all over the place while they're playing - there's one in every orchestra or band) and burnt sheet music with a tipped candle.

I remember in high school the competition for the Manhasset stands that were the cream of the crop in band room. These put the Manhassets in the shade!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I remember in high school the competition for the Manhasset stands that were the cream of the crop in band room. These put the Manhassets in the shade!
    They were our favorites, too. There were always about 10 too few for our very large band, and those folks got those awful metal folding things.

The manhassets were hard to snag quickly because they were bottom heavy. Made a lot of people trip on them and go down with them, too, trying to fit between rows of them and rows of folding chairs on a small stage.

I'll bet the districts get charged a lot for them.

Very nice, George. How did you make the sawtooth rack that's used to set the angle of the platen?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The sawtooth racks were just hand chiseled from the solid. Not too hard to do,really,you just have to be very consistent,or they'd look awful.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The sawtooth racks were just hand chiseled from the solid. Not too hard to do,really,you just have to be very consistent,or they'd look awful.
    Okay, thanks. I thought you might have some ingenious way of making those by machine. Making 24 of those racks by hand is a challenge, I expect.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    They were our favorites, too. There were always about 10 too few for our very large band, and those folks got those awful metal folding things.

The manhassets were hard to snag quickly because they were bottom heavy. Made a lot of people trip on them and go down with them, too, trying to fit between rows of them and rows of folding chairs on a small stage.

I'll bet the districts get charged a lot for them.
    The sociology of high school band/orchestra was and probably still is very interesting - aching for some sociology grad student to study. First chair (the top musicians) for each instrument got the Manhasset stands, no question. Depending on how many were around when we went out to perform, second chair got them, too; if there weren't many, it was a free-for-all.

But I digress...George's stands are lovely. Maybe, if I start playing again, I should make one like his.

I have another(unprintable) name for cutting 24 racks by hand.

What's that round device hanging off the side used for? Cup holder??

Never mind I re-read your original post, candle holder. I should have known, cup holders would have had a hole in them!
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 09-13-2010 at 7:45 PM. Reason: No Cup Holder For You!
    The Plane Anarchist

They didn't have those kind of cups back then,either!

Picture some gentleman in his colonial dress,playing Bach. Then,he reaches out for his "Big Gulp" and takes a big swig!!

George, I saw these stands at Colonial Williamsburg years ago and thought if a good reason ever presented itself I would make one. Well, my brother who is a musician and a fine one will be completing his education in March of 2014. I would like to make this stand as a gift to him. My wife and I are traveling from California to CW the first week of December. Tara Chicirda, the curator of the CW Foundation has arranged for me to be able to measure an 18th century English music stand that I think is just like what you have made. Would you happen to have plans that I could purchase from you? I would appreciate any assistance you could provide. Thank you. Rolly Rhodes

OK, I have to ask... if stands kept coming back every 2 weeks for broken legs my first thought would be that they were not fit for use and redesign was in order, instead of blaming the user?

(edited for spelling)
    Last edited by Marko Milisavljevic; 11-18-2013 at 1:58 AM.