Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any plumbers on here

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I always remove gaskets when I can, but some valves don't allow for it. I'm trying to replace all gate valves will ball valves as I remodel... why can't someone make a copper ball valve...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

'Nuther possibility

I did some copper sweating a few years ago and had a devil of a time, especially with larger fittings. My torch at the time was sort of a pencil tip. I recently got a new self starting torch with a larger hotter head. It made a huge difference in the quality of the sweated joints, especially larger fittings like valves. I will second shark bites, especially if you have a joint where you just cannot get it to stop drip--drip--dripping. There's a bonus function for the self starting torch. It works great for starting lump charcoal grills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Dan
    The torch is holding you back. Copper to brass can be done with Propane, but it takes additional time to prehest the brass body, and the copper fitting pipe introduced after the brass is heated to stop the copper from heating up too much and the solder not flowing properly .
    With MAPP gas the job goes much quicker. You still have to remove the soft components from the brass valve body, and take out the stem/plug to reduce the mass that need to be heated. Clean the brass body really well also to remove all machining oils.

Once you use MAPP for asweating copper, you'll throw away the torch adapter for the propane tank.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-18-2010 at 12:59 AM.