Thread: Photo Manager Software

Photo Manager Software

Been looking for a super photo manager package, one that will catalog photos by keywords, one that will search by keywords, dates, events, whatever I want.

A friend showed me an article on ACDSee7 Photo Manager. I downloaded a trial copy and it seems pretty cool. Anybody familiar with it, use it or have any recommendations? It's seems reasonably priced for what you get.

http://www.acdsystems.com/english/index
    Tony

I've been using the ACDSee viewer portion since '99--it's the fastest. They did have a little problem with bloat which slowed things down in their last few versions, but they've gone through a rewrite of the viewer portion since then.

I can't really comment much on the Photo management portion, but I imagine it's probably better than most out there.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

The new 3.0 version of Adobe Photoshop Elements includes photo managment capablities...I don't use it, but it looks fairly decent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tony,

I have been a registered user of ACDSee since version 2 and have seen their software continue to improve every year. Last month I registered the version 7 Pro-Pack and it is a great value. For those of us who need to manage lots of photos and require software that doesn't take months to learn ACDSee is an excellent choice. Since version 2 ACDSee has also been the fastest picture viewer available period. I don't use the photo editing much but the viewer and management tools are excellent IMHO.

Thanks for the info Keith, I downloaded the Power Pack Demo. I spent a little time going through the down-loadable users guide today, there seems to be several levels of sort capabilities. Haven't figured out the hierarchy's yet, but it appears to be very powerful.

I want to be able to catalog my pictures to retrieve quickly, but mostly I want powerful query abilities. I use databases at work and have become spoiled to the query and data retrieval abilities of a database. We have over 1100 traffic signals cataloged, with complete details and history (over fifty fields per record) on each one. I can query and retrieve data to create whatever reports are needed in almost a matter of minutes. I want the same query and retrieval power with my digital photos.

ACDSee appears to give the query abilities I'm looking for, including the ability to query multiple parameters. So far I've cataloged a few photos with keywords and have been able to sort and query. You can query dates or date ranges, and / or query keywords (a particular person or event). Also the catalog features seems great, although as I said I haven't quite figured out the hierarchal order yet.

So far it's looking good......... will keep y'all posted.
    Tony