Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Larquetry

My First Larquetry

Thought I'd share my first attempt at larquetry. Definitely not on the level of others here, but I am happy with the piece. This is a sample piece and the customer provided the artwork, veneer, and chose grain direction. The veneer was already adhered to a backer panel so that made it easier to work with. Overall thickness 0.05. The finish isn't perfect but the customer will be spraying the finish so that really isn't an issue. As you walk past the variations in the Bubinga look like waves. Overall size is 24 x 13.75.

IMG_0771.jpg IMG_0769.jpg
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 09-15-2010 at 9:39 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

That's quite a bit of detail, Belinda! Pretty ambitious for your first time.

You did a great job with it - what are they using it for?

I love the wood, it's beautiful - dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks Dee! I sent you a note regarding where it is going to be installed. Can't really say publicly as the boss would have my head. The customer is very particular about things like that!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Nice work!

The Bubinga is incredible, quite curly!

I've turned some pens from Bubinga but nothing
    that curly with so much movement!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Man, how come I never get cool jobs like that?!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Marty,

I have a stack of veneer about three feet high. Some of it has incredible figure to it. I guess I was just intimidated by larquetry. Now I'm itching to go back through the stack and see what I actually have and what I want to do with it.

Bella Terra

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is larquetry?

Dan,

I don't have the job yet, so keep your fingers crossed. I've got several hours in the sample and those I didn't get paid for. IF I get the job I will be doing about one of the pieces a month, different combinations of wood on each more than likely.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ashlin View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is larquetry?
    A phrase coined by Davie Fifield to denote laser cut marquetry.

Bella Terra

Beautiful!

Cool Job Belinda! You go girl!

Phyllis

Great job, here's hoping you get the order.

OUTSTANDING! That is a lot of work. Lots of patience.

Bully for you for tackling a new style.
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

Beautiful work Belinda. Looks like hours of fitting and a good bit of engraving time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Beautiful work Belinda. Looks like hours of fitting and a good bit of engraving time.
    No engraving. 7.37 minutes each to vector the male and female parts. It did take a couple of hours to fit.

Bella Terra

Thanks all!

Bella Terra