Thread: No 7 or No 8?

No 7 or No 8?

Hi Guys. I keep scouring the classifieds for someone selling one (Lie Nielsen since I tried the #7 and loved it so figure I would love the #8 also) but no one ever is. They must be loved by all that have one or the other. Someday I will get lucky!

Anyway, they are both very close in what they are intended to do so is it a matter of a little more heft to it in deciding between the 2? I prefer a heavier plane so leaning towards the 8 (especially since I have an old rehabbed Bedrock 607 that I wouldnt mind an upgrade from). Anyway, for those that have used both, what was your final decision based on?

I have (soon to be had) both the #7 and #8 from LN.

if you prefer big planes, then you'll like the 8. If you prefer 7s over 8s, you'll like the 7.

You really have to work with each a couple of hours to figure it out.

I'm in the process of trading off my #8, which I don't use much because I have the #7 and it's sort of always out on my bench.

keep your bedrock 607, especially if you get a #8 - they are far enough different in weight that it's like having two different planes.

If Dave Andrews wouldn't have posted something I wanted in trade, I'd probably have kept the #8 indefinitely, because it's set up straight across, and my #7 is set up with camber. If they'd have been flip flopped, I'd be selling the #7 because the #8 would have the wear on it instead of the 7 (I've only ever used a straight-across jointer for jointing pairs of boards that are going to be panels).

I've not used LN planes. Stanley #7 & 8's are not for the same thing. A 7 is for jointing & an 8 is for flattening. That's why the 8 is larger, wider, longer & heavier.

Frank, two yrears ago I went through what you are going through today. I had a friend that had the #7 and #8 Ln and he let me try both in his shop. I used them both and I liked the #8 better. Not to say the #8 is better than the #7 but I liked the extra weight. If they didn't make the #8, I would have the #7. They are both good Planes. It would be nice if you could try out both and decide for your self. I think you will like both. Have fun deciding #7 or #8.

Blog Entries
    For the longest time I had only a #7. Then a deal turned up on a #8. Then I bought another #7. One #7 was enough, so one was sold. The #7 and the #8 will likely be with me until I can no longer use them.

The #8 is nice for flattening large pieces. It is also good for joining edges. The #7 is used on smaller pieces and often takes a shaving or two after the #8. I have the #7 set up to take finer shavings than the #8. This is something that is done with most of my planes if their are two of the same size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe I will hope and pray someone on here has a LN#8 to sell and use my Bedrock 607. Never hurts to have too many planes available right? Plus like was mentioned, I can set them up different and save some fussing with setup. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Carnevale View Post
    Maybe I will hope and pray someone on here has a LN#8 to sell and use my Bedrock 607. Never hurts to have too many planes available right? Plus like was mentioned, I can set them up different and save some fussing with setup. Thanks guys!
    Used L-N planes seem to retain their value so well that if you want one you might as well buy new. That way you can start using it now. If you wait to buy used, it could be a long time before you see one for sale, and in the end you'll probably only save 10-15% off the cost of new. Just my opinion.

Well, I see you can't post in the classifieds, nor can I. I can buy things with PM, but if you want a break on an LN plane, I would post a WTB in the classifieds section. It may be worth your $6, especially if you have the patience to wait to save the $50 or so that you could save by buying a used jointer.

I am someone who has both LN jointers, as i stated above, and though I use one of them a lot, I don't use both a lot, and there are probably other people in the same situation who would sell if they thought about it. I just am not in need of the money, and was in no hurry to sell what I considered to be a gorgeous plane - but I will get more use out of Dave Andrews' shaves, so the stars all aligned, and a plane that was going nearly unused that I probably wouldn't have listed just for need of money heads down the road to actually get used.

Anyway, I have seen quite a few unused LN planes sold that have the old style chipbreaker and especially the old iron. In my opinion, you don't want those if you're going to use the plane a lot, especially if you're going to use it in anything where the newer A2 iron edge longevity is warranted (when you start actually using the plane a lot, it's nice to sharpen less often). It's not that that older style doesn't work well, but more that the newer stuff is better (the iron is more durable and the chipbreaker is a style that's set no matter what, whereas the old stanley style chipbreaker requires more fiddling to be setup right, and is rarely setup right), and there's no reason to compromise for 10% of the price of a new plane. Look for the front of the iron to be stamped Lie-Nielsen, as in my experience, the old plain carbon steel irons did not have the name stamped into them. The plain carbon steel irons are not the same thing as O1, they're not as durable.

I've seen quite a few go on here and woodnet for about 85% or so of new price, and 90% of new price if they are brand new and unused.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Carnevale View Post
    No problem with too many planes. I pile up the few extras like a passbook savings account. Then if a need comes up, they can be sold.

You may like having both planes, if not, you can sell one of them.

I like to have a few sizes with two planes. Most of my smoother size planes are set to take medium to light shavings. One #4 is set to take very light shavings and one is set for heavy shavings. It is convenient to have planes set up for optimum performance at particular tasks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)