Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a new "Workshop"

Looking at a new "Workshop"

I went looking today at some pre-fab workshops and was really surprised on how well they looked.The one I looked at had 2x6 floor joists and 3/4" pressure treated plywood floors and 2x4 construction on 18" centers.The ceiling had 2x6's also on 18" centers.The sides and roof consist of aluminum siding with nice trim.It comes with 2 windows one walk through door and one 9x7 roll up door.It is split down the middle like a doublewide home would be and put together with bolts and leveled up on site.This is a 24 x 30. I can get it for about 13,000 delivered and set up.What are your thoughts on something like this No inside insulation though.It does come with 4 outlets and 2 standard lights plus one light switch at the door opening.
    Donny

Unless there is something going on here that I don't understand, I would be concerned about the 18" OC joists and studs. By being 18" instead of the standard 16" OC the joints one panel stock like plywood will not be directly over a stud or joist. The strength of the floor or wall is therefore lessened. Perhaps you misunderstood the spec or didn't type it correctly. Perhaps there is something going on that I don't understand, but I don't think so.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    Unless there is something going on here that I don't understand, I would be concerned about the 18" OC joists and studs. By being 18" instead of the standard 16" OC the joints one panel stock like plywood will not be directly over a stud or joist. The strength of the floor or wall is therefore lessened. Perhaps you misunderstood the spec or didn't type it correctly. Perhaps there is something going on that I don't understand, but I don't think so.
    I agree with Ron..... Never seen 18" oc.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It could be 19 3/16 OC. Old trick to save a stud here or there. Breaks on 8 foot. That is why the diamond is on the tape measure at that spot.

the mesurement is actually 19.2" and it works on 8'...this is a way to save on material and normally a sign not to buy, because nothing less than 8' fits.....if you look on the tape that you have, you will see a little diamond at the 19.2 all the way through....
    I would look for another building that has standard mesurements
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

19.2 is listed in my span tables as a standard. But a 24x30 would probably mean a 12' floor joist span unless there is a beam in the middle of each side as well as down each side and at the split. A 2x6 at 19.2 is only good for 30#/sf at a 10' span - not good for a 12' span. On the other hand, at a 6' span and 19.2 spacing they would be good for 100#/sf live load.

That would be my main concern. I have been looking at a smaller 'shed' that is constructed on site that has 2x6 at 12" on centers. I plan on adding 2" of foam and another 3/4" ply on top of the provided floor. That would effectively create a SIP floor and stiffen as well as insulate.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I did just find out a website for them.The floors are 16" OC and the sidewalls are 24" OC. Check out this website and give me some more feedback. www.larkbuilders.com
    Donny

I'm personally not fond of manufactured structures. Comes from 30 years as a builder and 6 as a home inspector. Haven't seen any that are very sound structurally. If price is your only consideration I guess it is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    I'm personally not fond of manufactured structures. Comes from 30 years as a builder and 6 as a home inspector. Haven't seen any that are very sound structurally. If price is your only consideration I guess it is an option.
    Agreed. If it is 100% money then you do what you have to do. I want it built with a LOT more electrical and designed around the way I want a shop and I want to see it built so I can fix a problem before it is covered up.

Money is a big factor.Right now I only have 12K to work with and this building is a little over budget but I would like to try to work with it as close as I can.I will have to purchase insulation and put it up myself plus do a little electrical but from the ones I walked through yesterday it seems to be solid. Please give me more advise if someone has something to throw out there. I'm up for suggestions.
    Donny

Have you looked into steel buildings? (ie. Quonset Hut)

I just ordered a 20x30 for storage and their site showed some used as workshops

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/products/workshops
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Donny, since you already have a slab, look at Tuff Shed garages. You can get a 24x30 built for about the same price and I think they are much more substantial. Built on-site from factory assembled sections I believe. I think Ken (from the turners forum) had one built and did a thread on it.

I went by the building lot again today and found out that I can get a 12x60 for 1300.00 less than the 24x30. Both have the same square footage.Would the 12ft wide be too narrow?
    I also asked him about a 14x50 and I should get an answer tomorrow.
    Yes, I can get a 24x31 steel building built on my pad with a 9x7 rollup door and a 36" side door and (3) 30" windows for 6800.00 installed.All steel including the wall studs. NO wiring included,and NO insulation.It will probally be harder to heat.What are your thoughts on this?
    Thanks,
    Donny

I'm still looking at 12x16 for a turning shop. Try downloading a copy of sketchup and some of the woodworking tool libraries and play with it. Or go to grizzly and use their tool.
    That will give you an idea of whether it will work with your tool selection. The advantage of a long thin building id that you can set up an aisle that you move tools into as needed and can process (saw, plane, etc) boards that are about half the length of the aisle. So a 16' building only allows 8' boards while a 60' building will allow anything you are liable to encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    Would the 12ft wide be too narrow?

For me 12' is very narrow and makes a lot of the space wasted. I consider 16' to be a minamum. BUT depending on how you work and what you do 12' may be a resonable width. A 50-52" rip table saw is 7 feet wide once you consider the actual inside wall to wall width you only have a couple of feet on each side of the saw which can be seriously limiting and produces a choke point unless you put it at the very end of the shop.