Thread: Outdoor turning

Outdoor turning

I am in the process of moving, and there is a bunch of stuff being stored in the shop - so running the lathe and getting dust from sanding on everything is not a good idea. Things will be in storage for a while, and I don't have my cyclone assembled yet either...

Before I moved, I had been using the lathe inside an unheated, uncooled garage with no rusting issues.
    I was thinking of setting up the lathe on the porch outside so I can get some turning done in the mean time.

Any concerns about having the lathe outside under a 12 ft overhang with concrete floor? Should keep the rain off unless we have a hurricane or something. I don't think theft will be an issue.
    Maybe there are some other considerations that I am not thinking of?

Photo of porch when concrete was poured.

The only concern that I would have is lighting. You may need to rig up some lights.

Just keep your Johnson's Paste Wax handy...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Rick, I work out doors under a 16 foot roof.. Your biggest problem will be the wind..... it moves dust around pretty good, and safety glasses or full face sheild won't keep dust out of your eyes. The wind can come at you in any direction and get under, over and around any protection you have. Also, face your lathe towards your house and use the back lighting you get from having the source at your back. I can't see if my lathe is facing outside, so now I'm facing my house, instead of looking out to a beautiful view..... It's like trying to read something in a house using natural lighting from a window while facing the window. It doesn't work for me..... Jerry (in Tucson)

I think it depends upon the humidity and dew point. In our climate I would have to keep it covered or it would rust quickly, but other that that, I say go for it.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

My first two years was under awning. Past wax and a tarp worked fine.
    Dennis