Thread: Prefinished vs. unfinished maple

Prefinished vs. unfinished maple

I'm interested in your opinions: I am working with a vendor of wood (maple) products, and need to make a decision whether I'd like to order them pre- stained and clearcoated, or unfinished.

Will I likely have gumminess issues, etc. engraving a prefinished item? I plan on spraying the engraving (which will be masked) with clearcoat after the fact, or sealing and spraying with a color.

Thanks much
    Epilog Legend 32 70W, Rotary, CDR X5, DCS 1324 Substrate Printer, various dye sub.

I much prefer working with pre-finished wood. Much easier to clean up the gunk. And a good finish means I do not have to take the time to mask it.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

If I have a choice it's pre-finished.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

With pre-finished if anything sneaks under the mask you can just wipe it off. Unfinished would require re-sanding to get the stain out. Pre-finished is the only way to go..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Another thing I have noticed is that masking paper sticks much better to a clear coat/lacquer/poly than it sticks to raw wood. I have found that on some wood pieces, the mask just wants to curl up. So to mask directly to wood, you may need to find a very high-tack masking paper. I would vote for pre-finished, even if you plan to add another finish layer yourself.

Thanks, definitely what I wanted to hear! I plan to seal with polyurethane and then spray through the mask with some kind of spray paint. Maybe an additional coat of sealant after that.
    Epilog Legend 32 70W, Rotary, CDR X5, DCS 1324 Substrate Printer, various dye sub.

Ditto. Prefinished is much easier to work on. Don't need to mask and easiy to wipe off.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)