Thread: Rip blade ruined

Rip blade ruined

Just wondering if anybody had this happen to them. I was ripping a piece of oak when a carbide tooth broke and lodged in the wood and then took out the rest of teeth on a brand new 24 tooth blade. A very scary second. Lots of sparks and all pieces missed me.

Rip blades have higher shock loads on the teeth than other types of blades, so they're made with softer, more resilient teeth than a blade designed for particle board (To use a common example).

Infant mortality is the term used to described things that fail during first uses, some of that is poor quality control, some is the probability of failure.

Of course, you may have hit a knot, I stripped out 6 teeth on a gang rip once when cutting pine, a knot took out the teeth on an industrial blade. The 50 HP drive motor didn't even blink.

If it was a good quality blade, I expect that the manufacturer would want it back for analysis, and that they would replace or repair the blade for free.

Regards, Rod.

Not me not now! That sounds pretty scary. That blade would be going back to where I bought it, along with the wood it's buried in for them to inspect.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

This was an industrial blade. No knots or foreign objects. Has been sent back today for review. On the blade half of one tooth seems have come off of the blade itself and the rest of the teeth are just shattered.

I'm glad you were not injured, have a Frued rip blade and many other well known brands and types, but have never had that happen. They should be made aware of the problem then given the chance to make things right with you.
    Regards,
    Kevin

Kelvin, I had a tool come off a Freud rip blade while ripping a piece of maple. The first I knew of it was the whack that I felt on my right forearm. Luckily, I was wearing my turners smock at the time as all I got was a big bruise and some bleeding. I had a big welt on my arm for about 6 months. I picked the tooth up from the floor in front of my ts. The Freud rep was at my local Woodcraft the next day and gave me a new rip blade. I had only used the blade about a dozen times.

Kevin and anybody else, beware of the blade .Inspect very carefully for cracks.

Wow, I am glad you are alright. I have heard of this happening, but I have never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Koch View Post
    Yes, you are correct, I do take for granted something like this has not happened to me. Inspecting blades more often is something I should do. Not to mention router bits and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Koch View Post
    This is particularly true in the internet age when we receive a lot of blades that have been shipped to individually.

New 24 tooth industrial Freud blade arrived to day. I guess they found it to be defective. I'm a little nervous about putting it on the table saw.

Maybe try it on some Balsa wood?? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

A guy wrote a letter in to Fine WoodWorking years ago relating an incident in his shop; a shaper knife worked its way partially loose while he was cutting and the knife started cutting a larger hole in the table. The woodworker hit the deck as soon as he realized what was happening and crawled his way back to the off switch. He said the knife cutting the cast iron at high speed made a noise like a 747 coming in on its belly!