I was asked on another site to share some of my techniques for sanding vases, and closed form bowls on the inside so I thought I would share it with fellow creekers as well. The first two pictures show a 3/8" rod I fit a coupler on the end to hold a sanding disc. I did this by drilling a hole in a 5/8" piece of rod and fitting it onto the section of 3/8" rod by brazen it onto the rod. I then mounted the 3/8" rod in the lathe with just the coupler sticking out of the chuck and the rest of the rod going through the head stock and hanging out the back side. By holding the rod in this way I was able to drill the hole in the end of the coupler dead center with the 3/8" rod. This is important when sanding so that there is no wobble when sanding. I then turned a wooden handle that the rod fits through. By resting the wooden handle on the tool rest it takes no effort to reach in and sand the bottom of deep bowls. I use a little wax to lube the rod in the handle and it has held up great for 3 years now. The next device is a copy of the sorby sander. I got the bushings from enco and made the rest from 5/8" rod. It took a little grinding and filing to get the fit I wanted, but it can be held on top of the tool rest like a boring bar and makes sanding the sides of a close form or vase very easy. I hope this helps a few of you in sanding hard to reach places.
Jack