Thread: Matching Ash to Oak

Question Matching Ash to Oak

I have searched for hours and come up empty handed. I have some ash that has sentimental value to the client, and they have asked me to build them a blanket chest using this wood. Unfortunately, there isn't enough for the chest and they want me to supplement with plywood - cost issue. Being that ash ply is expensive in these parts, they suggested oak ply, since the grain structures are similar. I found some oak plywood (at a big box store suprisingly) that has a very similar grain structure as the ash.

Now the problem, the finish they like is a reddish brown color...very similar to minwax red mahogany stain. I have tried this stain, as well as Watco danish oil on some samples and the ash comes out pink, while the red oak takes on a very nice reddish brown color. I need to get these two woods to match and be the same color.

I'm at a loss...suggestions? Thanks!

First, lose the oak. Trying to stain two species to some desired color is at least four times as difficult as staining one species to that color. Then focus on finding a stain that on ash is the color you want.

1qt minwax red oak , 1/3 cup or more of nonfibered asphalt ,if you need to make it darker add more asphalt. Apply with clean brush. Don't wipe off with rag. Rub it in with a clean 4" brush . Let it sit for a little and keep going back stroking lightly on the stain to even it out. You may get some bleeding ,but after a day or 2 the bleed marks will wipe off with rags . It takes a little bit of time but th finish is beatiful.

Make sure your stain is completly dry before apllying clear coat.

or use garnet shellac. it is reddish brown and after a couple/three coats will make any two boards look alike.

+1 on the garnet shellac for tone evening. You can top that with anything for protection.

How are you going to hide the edges of the oak ply? Edgebanding?

I think you might do better with oak strips instead of plywood.

Also, keep in mind that these chests are usually butted against a bed or wall, so you won't see the rear or bottom panel.

The way the light hits the lid, front, and side panels is completely different, and if you use a single wood for each panel respectively, I'm not sure minor diffs in color would be noticed.

What's the cost difference on the ash plywood over oak? You might come out way ahead financially to buy the ash instead of spending all the time it takes to match the colors. If it's $50 more per sheet, but you're going to spend 3-4 hours trying to work this out, wouldn't you come out ahead by using the ash ply?

Just asking.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I took a look at Scott's suggestion and determined that the time it will take me to perfect a new finishing technique will far outweigh the cost delta between oak ply and solid ash. It will also make construction more efficient...no frame and panel, just solid wood panels with dovetail joinery. Overall, I think this will deliver a better value for my client.

My qouting model doesn't take my learning curve into account, so I missed that on the first pass.

Now, I just have to work through this logic with them.