Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My hats off to: Camaster, Eagle, Southeast, and Wynn

Blog Entries

My hats off to: Camaster, Eagle, Southeast, and Wynn

The Stinger has landed. I repeat, the Stinger has landed

My condolences to James' and Joey's backs, but between the three of us and a helpful neighbor, we managed to get it into the workshop (though not without a cost... see the pic below).

It will take me some time to get everything up and running (the honey-do list was in full effect before they showed up, so I have a few walls to finish tearing down, a new wood stove to install, and somehow rearrange the workshop so I'm not tripping over myself). For now, everyone will have to deal with the pictures below.

Pic #1: Joey supervising James as he prepares the Stinger for removal from the truck.

Pic #2: After lugging 325 pounds of metal down a hill to squeeze it through a sliding glass door at an angle, we didn't have much energy left. As such, I took one look at the door to my shop, took the door off of its hinges, decided the wall was going to come down at some point anyway, and my neighbor used his Skillsaw to, ahem, "widen" the door right above my computer desk.

A HUGE thanks goes out to:

• Camaster for providing the beast of a machine Stinger (and free delivery service with two hearty backs!)
    • Wynn Environmental for providing a high-quality dust collector hose (and who will also be getting my order for a canister filter for my new dust collector)
    • Both Eagle America and Southeast Tool for providing a wide range of router bits that should keep me going for quite some time
    • And last, but certainly not least, to Keith and Sawmill Creek for providing not only the contest (and funds) that put the Stinger in my workshop in the first place, but the friendly forum that has given me a safe outlet for my creative energy.

More pics to follow as I get things set up...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Dan,

I have read many of your post in the Laser Threads and I can not think of a more deserving winner of this machine. I am sure you will post and continue to be an asset in both laser and now CNC.

I suggest you get the Honeydew List done as quickly as possible to keep your wife happy. Once you start down the road to CNC, there is no turning back. It is like the Dark Side from Star Wars.

It will consume you!!!!

Again congrats. Looking forward to your sharing on the road to discovery.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

That looks so cool and right at home.

The beauty of cnc routers is that they work while you are doing other work. You can do honey-do and cut on the CNC!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Dan,

I agree with Mike. A long CNC run can provide enough time to cut the grass, trim and take in a movie sometimes

I'm really pleased that you got your Stinger, it finalizes the July 4th drawing and will no doubt be something you will enjoy owning for a long time. We are all looking forward to see what you do with the new found machining capability.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-20-2010 at 6:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    The beauty of cnc routers is that they work while you are doing other work. You can do honey-do and cut on the CNC!
    I still find it amazing that even after all the postings that are on this forum and others like it that people will still suggest leaving a CNC or Laser unattended to run "run the program".

Below are a couple of reason's why the Honeydew list does not have priority over a running CNC machine.

FIRE! ACCIDENT! BUSTED BIT! CLAMP FAILURE! STOCK SHIFT! MOTOR OVERHEAT! COMPUTER GLITCH!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Blog Entries
    Guy,

I agree with you, but how about this compromise... it can run while my back is turned and my attention is on the laser. I'll still be within 5' of it, but I won't have to practically stare at it like when my laser is cutting wood.

Did a nice 10"x16" plaque last night that may have benefited from some CNC work... don't get me wrong, I love the way Maple looks and it was a nice plaque, but I am now looking ahead to the "What could I do to make this piece really stand out?" line of thinking.

I agree with Guy, I'm never far from my router when it's running. I've seen first hand the damage that can be done with a CNC machine crashes (not a router, but large CNC equipment). It's almost never small and it's almost never cheap.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

just a reminder!!

i gotta admit i will step away (within the shop) and have a night watchman for long runs (taught him how to turn machine off) but i have had this experience with mdf and will not leave it alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah boy..... iffen you ever bore small holes with a router bit you're just asking for trouble. I've had a couple of close calls. I've had a spoilboard with a hole burnt into it a time or two. Most of my small hole boring is done with a drill bit now.

We don't leave the router unattended unless it's running a carving program that's taking hours and hours and doesn't bore through, and is only taking off a few thousands at a time.

And ALL the code is checked for ANY negative z values before it even goes on the server.

Congratulations Dan! Again, I hope you enjoy my router...
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 09-20-2010 at 2:23 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Guy,

I agree with you, but how about this compromise... it can run while my back is turned and my attention is on the laser. I'll still be within 5' of it, but I won't have to practically stare at it like when my laser is cutting wood.

Did a nice 10"x16" plaque last night that may have benefited from some CNC work... don't get me wrong, I love the way Maple looks and it was a nice plaque, but I am now looking ahead to the "What could I do to make this piece really stand out?" line of thinking.
    Dan,

Since I used to run 3 machines at the same time, I can agree with you that checking your laser is fine. Even be somewhere in your shop is okay if it is a small shop.

Be within earshot of the machine. You will learn fast what sounds right and what doesn't.

Guys in our shop used to wear headphones and listen to MP3's.
    A fellow asked me one time how come I didn't. I told him the following.

"My machines talk to me, I can't hear what they are saying if Aerosmith is screaming in my ears".

Can't wait to see some of your work.

I was at New Wave today consulting on a job that required a mirrored flip cut because of the material thickness. It was nice being back on the old machine today, even if it was for only 10 minutes.

Have fun Dan!!!!

Okay Dan, enough is enough. You've had your machine for 3 months now and we have yet to see any photos!

How do you like the machine after having it for 3 months now? Whatcha making with it? Stop keeping secrets
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    <chuckle> I wish I could post some grand projects I've accomplished in the several months since winning while rubbing my hands together and sneering with an evil laugh ("One meeeeelion dollars!"), but the grand total of my projects amounts to.... zero

Try as I might, I've been unsuccessful in getting the necessary license files from CaMaster to run the machine. I've pinged Joey on at least 5 separate occasions, with weeks of wait in between, but despite his replies that the files would be sent pronto, I've yet to see them. I know, I know, I could just break down and purchase the licenses myself and be done with it, but I have some deep-hidden principle that's preventing me from doing so (though I hate to see it unused, so I may give that principle the high-flying salute and whip out the credit card).

In the meantime, I've outfitted my shop with big ol' bandsaws, wood and metal lathes, the drill press comes in tomorrow, and mobile bases to keep it all, well, mobile. The Stinger will eventually sit on a Grizzly maple table with steel legs, topped with a granite slab. The laser is looking smaller and smaller every day.

Until CaMaster sends me those license files, though, the Stinger is a glorified boat anchor... pretty, but lifeless.

Wow Dan, I don't know what to say. Delivering the machine in September and not giving you the ability to use the software since then seems....well......not so good.

What's the hold up Joey? I hope we aren't going to go down the "servicing paying customers" route again. What was the point in giving a machine away in a raffle if you won't give the guys the tools to make it work?

Step up and make this right

Dan,
    I have resent the license of mach to you again just now, please check you inbox. As far as you not running you machine I was unaware of this fact. We install our license of mach on each machine to test the machines when they come off the line. Then we load the customers copy on the PC. This should have not hindered you running the machine in any way. It was mentioned as we were tearing out a wall in your basement so it may have been lost in the moment. Please assept my appoligies and know that I did not know the machine was not in use.
    If you have any questions about set up please give me a call.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools