Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMC Design Critiques #1

I think the design reflects its intended use; a musicians chair. The back,at first glance, looks a bit awkward to me but then I notice it also looks like a wooden xylophone. I believe the base isn't meant to sit anywhere other than where it is now...a nice, flat indoor floor. The chair doesn't really excite me much though. I can't see the joint details so, from my perspective I can't give an opinion on craftsmanship( even my stuff looks good from a distance). I does look like a hybrid style also. I've seen the same type of base, in metal, on modern stacking office chairs. It doesn't come across as a very unique design to my eye. That said, it is made out of wood so it aint all bad

Design Critique

Mark,

I think this is a terrific idea.

I like the chair very much. I'm assuming that it was purpose-built for an acoustic guitarist. I don't play the guitar but I must assume that there was a specific functional reason for the heavy slant of the seat. Also, the front legs are quite wide spread so they don't interfer with positioning of the legs and feet. Perhaps I'm getting too lyrical (its 13 degrees and a lot of fresh snow outside...what else have I got to do but get lyrical?) but I think the back is "musical." The back shows both flow and rhythm. Also, if this is intended for a stage performance, the chair will preceed the entry of the musician and is a piece of sculpture on stage by itself. As a regular performance attendee I can say it sure beats looking at a folding bridge chair in the middle of the stage.

While I don't play guitar, I did play sax in a jazz band. The chairs are not intended to be comfortable in the normal sense; they are intended to support the musician in the correct position. I have a feeling that when the intended user sits in this chair for a performance it fits and works fine.

Thanks again Mark,

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Absent of the guitar it could be considered an art piece more than a functional (or maybe practical is a better word) chair. With the guitar in the picture, it focuses the reason for the design.

I wonder what it would look like if the color of the legs and the sides of the spine were carried over to the front of the spine instead of the different color wood. Or is it intended to tie to the color of the guitar? I also wonder if the top curve of the back is functional or for the eye. The slope of the seat appears steep enough to force you back…but is it so steep to cut off the circulation of the person’s legs during a long session? I guess the sit test would tell.

Mark…this is a great idea!

Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 12-23-2004 at 7:29 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I find it odd that I'm enjoying this thread so much, as I don't think I've ever made something without (at least starting) from a plan from a magazine or book. In any case, what fun! Here goes:

I think the rear leg is disproportional to the front legs. I know it's a continuation of the "spine" but it doesn't work for me. Also, at least the way I play, I tend to lean forward. I don't believe support is needed then. I think the spine should be positioned to comfortably support the guitarist when he's at rest. And the stretcher doesn't work. I think either eliminate it completely, or use 3 separate arcs that join at the center and are place higher up on the legs.

The chair is striking to look at, at least before I started to analyze the crap out of it! Wish I had the skill to pull off something so interesting.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I don't like it either.
    • Legs need some taper and the circle at the floor where they attach would require an absolutley flat area to place the chair
    • Back slats are an interesting design, but in keeping with a music theme there should only be five slats - like lines on a clef
    Items I like
    • The angle of the seat for leaning forward to play
    • Contrast in finishes/woods
    Regards,
    Ted

Like: The legs are out of the way in the front - I tend to pull my right leg under me when I play (played).

Don't like: It's a mish-mash of curves and straight, light and heavy. There's no balance to it. The back is open and light, but made with thick pieces. The front legs are light, the back leg is heavy. The bottom seems open, but the round base makes the entire chair look much bigger than it is. The back and legs are geometric (straight or round), but the seat is carved out. It looks like an experiment gone bad - trying to do too many things at once. (I have a couple of pieces like that! )

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

What would you say if I told you I really designed and built the chair and your really hurting my feelings?

Nah! Keep going your doing great! I had nothing to do with it...nothing..
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    What would you say if I told you I really designed and built the chair and your really hurting my feelings?
    My comments would stand...and I know you can "take it"!

A couple of more pics might help?

Thanks Jim. !

Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-23-2004 at 10:09 AM.

Ah...the plot thickens. This photo helps to fill in the blanks about how it was actually fitted to the intended user. Thanks for posting this!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the contrasting woods, the chair seat is wide, befitting those of us who are becoming larger in that area. The stringer is not a big problem with me, even though it may be impractile for some. The one thing I really have an issue with is the back. To me it looks too delicate as I feel that with any kind of heavy usage, i.e. children, the slats might become loose and need constant repair. A nice art piece.

Is that Alfred Hickcock playing a guitar? ?:|

seriously tho. I like it. It has a ver nice modern appeal to the chair. I dont think it would work as a chair for a dining room or as a desk chair.

BTW, should we limit these critiques to furniture, or should we consider other projects, like home rennovations, boxes, turnings, etc...?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    BTW, should we limit these critiques to furniture, or should we consider other projects, like home rennovations, boxes, turnings, etc...?

Dan
    Dan, I see the Critiques as a way we can learn about furniture design from each others observations and have some fun while we do....Renovations, architecture have a place at SMC in the Off Topic Forum and we will welcome and review these type of designs there.

BTW... I have already changed my opion about "The Chair" from everyones thoughtful comments....it is like going out for coffee with friends after a movie .....you just start to see so much that was not on the surface...aand learn more about your friends...great freinds here!

Mark,

When I first viewed this chair I immediately thought it was for a cellist. (I used to play one.) It didn't seem to work at all for a guitarist. I extracted the photo and tweaked it in Photoshop to better view the dark base, and even named the new file "cello chair." So seeing the picture of Casals playing was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

As to the chair, I find it greatly appealing. The back looks like frets on the neck of the cello, and the broad round base is reminiscent of the cello's broad bottom.

The chair works exceptionally well, given the context of the cellist and understanding the posture it is designed to support. I give it five stars.

Bert Johansen

variation on a theme

written befor i read page two and saw the chair in use and infull front and side. In the first picture the seat appeared slightly distorted with the front edge raised.

1. I think the guitar stand is nicly made.

2. IMHO, this sit-upon probably is not a spec piece unless it's some kind of academic effort by a design student. If I were to have made this on commission, befor I put in the amount of craftsmanship necessary to design and produce it I would have made A LOT of sketches and made the customer a full scale mock up out of poplar that s/he would have to actually sit in and try out befor I made it in good wood. Based on those assumptions...,

3. the stool is a very creative variation on the three legged stool theme. I'm not put off by the floor border linking the feet at all because it reflects the shape of the seat somewhat and grounds an otherwise air-y or up-reaching design. As Bert has mentioned the back has both fretwork and musical scale illusions and carries the musical theme forward. I'm not a musician but I can appreciate how this might work for someone who has to sit in a stable seat and yet not have to lean back against the chair for support or comfort. Another possibity is the musician for whom this his designed MAY have some unusual physical impediments wherein that back and seat is perfectly suitable.

As an aside, I once designed and mocked up an easy/study chair for a 4'10" woman artist. It was certainly unusual and no "average" person would have been comfortable, but it "fit" her perfectly and for all I know she's still sitting in it?

4. There is also the possibility that this is simply an art project by some creative person and as such it doesn't HAVE to conform to our concept of a real chair any more than Dali's clock faces represent real time pieces. SInce I don't know what that artists requirements were I can't assess how well s/he met the stated goals, but the workmanship seems excellent.
    Last edited by Jerry Crawford; 12-23-2004 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Posted befor I read page 2