Thread: any complaints about Grizzly G0513x2bf bandsaw?

Question any complaints about Grizzly G0513x2bf bandsaw?

After much research I have concluded that for the cost of a Powermatic 14" bandsaw I can buy the Grizzly 17" with a foot break and switch.

Internet research has under covered two common complaints:
    1. The blade that comes with the saw is poor
    2. It is hard to install and remove 1" wide blades.

Other than these complaints do you have any problems with this bandsaw? Please don't tell me to buy a bigger one, the price is the limiting factor.

Has anyone gone to one of their showrooms and been alowed to try a power tool prior to buying?

First, let me say I would get the G0513XF instead. I much prefer a mechanical foot brake to a motor brake, no matter how the motor brake is actuated.

Second, most people are very satisfied with the 513 series and for the price it is an excellent saw, the only other saw in the general price range that is about the same bang for the buck is the Rikon 18" saw WHEN it is onsale. Which it is currently at Woodcraft for 1099.

Third, no bandsaw ships with a good blade, some of the Euro saws show up at your door with a good blade BUT you chose it and paid for it ala carte.

Fourth, it really makes no difference whether a 1" blade is easy to get on and off that saw. The true limit of the 513's ability to tension a good blade (especially bi-metal or carbide tipped) is 3/4".

Fifth, there is a current 10% coupon code that was sent to subscribers of Woodworker's Journal, it is good until April 30th. If you could use one and don't have one it would be a good time to become a contributor and put in a request in the deals and discounts forum, I had one but have already passed it along for someone elses bandsaw purchase.

Finally, I know the Springfield showroom has a glassed in workshop area but I have never seen anyone trying out a saw nor I have ask if one could. Even if you can't the 513 has PLENTY of owners around here and is by all accounts a very safe bet. It does what it is supposed to do within its limits.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Jesse

I got a 513X2F about a month ago. So far, I am still using the factory 1/2" blade - figured I'd do my learning w/ it - I also purchased a 3/4" and 1/4" Timberwolf.

My intended use for the saw was cutting blanks for the lathe, and occasional re-saw work. The saw runs smooth, and cuts everything I've thrown at it so far - up to a max of about 6" thick (bowl blanks). It came w/ a miter guage and a re-saw fence - I've not done much w/ either of those.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Jesse

I got a 513X2F about a month ago. So far, I am still using the factory 1/2" blade - figured I'd do my learning w/ it - I also purchased a 3/4" and 1/4" Timberwolf.

My intended use for the saw was cutting blanks for the lathe, and occasional re-saw work. The saw runs smooth, and cuts everything I've thrown at it so far - up to a max of about 6" thick (bowl blanks). It came w/ a miter guage and a re-saw fence - I've not done much w/ either of those.

Jim
    Just FYI if your cutting green wood get a 3/8-1/2" blade with a large amount of set it will making cutting them much easier.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would not use a 1" blade period.....
    I resaw with a 1/2" blade. 3/4" would be tops for blade width. Just because 1" will fit, doesn't mean that it is the best size.
    Sometimes bigger is not better (regardless).
    Oh, pay attention to what Van posted. Wide set and a few teeth will give ya a green wood cutting beast.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 03-19-2012 at 1:49 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have the 513x with the foot brake. I use a timberwolf blade designed for cutting turning blanks. I use it for all my cutting. It has cut up to the limit of the saw 12" and did ok. It has two dc hook up which take care of the inside of the bottom pretty good but don't do much on top and around the bottom guides. I consider it an excellent saw for the money, I have no experience with European saws.
    Fred

Also have the 0513X and it does everything I want. I really like the adjustment windows and quick tension handle. Wished I had gotten a bigger saw years ago and not dealt with a 14" for so many years. The saw seems to perform very well with a 3/4" woodslicer. Tried the 1" and just seemed not as good on the saw. It takes too long to set up a 1/4" blade correctly, so I just use the scroll saw when I need to cut sharper turns. Saw performs well with a 1/2" blade too. You will be very happy with the 0513.