Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: End of an era - GE closed last light bulb plant in US

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    When will the light bulb over America's head go on with the thought that this might be a bad thing?

-Jeff
    Jeff, unfortunately I don't think it will.

Americans and Canadians seem for the most part, to be unwilling to pay for made in North America products.

I continue to try to buy North American products, however often they don't exist any longer.

We've voted with our wallets and told the suppliers we want cheap, at any cost.

Regards, Rod.

Rodger, I’ve been using the 40W, T12 Sylvania Sunstick (32 of them) in my shop for several years now. Best darn florescent out there IMHO.

GE just closed its jet engine component plant here in ABQ. It provided good paying jobs to the community for 42 years.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What a racket this has turned into...

Sure there's dirt-cheap entry-level CFL's... but...

You want a '40w' color balance? If you want instant-on? and no dimmer problems? - you pay the premium, for sure.

I have a rack of a closet full of my incandescent desires. I'm good to go until the CFLs that fit that criteria quit knee-jerking the consumers. (Better be within 4 years =[ )

there will be no flourescent bulbs in my house, period. light without shadows isn't light. halogens i can deal with, guess i'll switch to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jeff, unfortunately I don't think it will.

Americans and Canadians seem for the most part, to be unwilling to pay for made in North America products.

I continue to try to buy North American products, however often they don't exist any longer.

We've voted with our wallets and told the suppliers we want cheap, at any cost.

Regards, Rod.

We DO want American products. We just don't want them to be poorly made while fat cat investors and CEOs rake in millions while their quality fails and they screw over their most valuable asset: their employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    We DO want American products. We just don't want them to be poorly made while fat cat investors and CEOs rake in millions while their quality fails and they screw over their most valuable asset: their employees.
    Bryan, this brings back my point, would you pay a premium for an American product or would you buy the identical imported product for less?

For example, if Powermatic made a tablesaw in the USA, that's the same model, grade and quality as the import, but 50% higher in cost, which would you buy?

To me, that's the crux of the matter.

To comply with environmental, labour and social program requirements, NA or EU made equipment will always cost more for the same object.

Are you willing to pay more to have a local machine?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I am willing and have paid for that choice, however that's a personal decision on my part, regarding what I believe is important, other people will have other beliefs, and practices.

As much as I hate generalisations, I think most people are only price motivated.

Bryan, this brings back my point, would you pay a premium for an American product or would you buy the identical imported product for less?

For example, if Powermatic made a tablesaw in the USA, that's the same model, grade and quality as the import, but 50% higher in cost, which would you buy?
    The import, no question.

To comply with environmental, labour and social program requirements, NA or EU made equipment will always cost more for the same object.
    Exactly, but people don't want to hear that or simply deny it...

As much as I hate generalisations, I think most people are only price motivated.
    I'll pay a little more for a better quality machine, within reason. I'll even shop at a place priced a little higher if their customer service is exceptional. I won't pay more simply for regulations and other nonsense which shouldn't be there in the first place.

Folks,

I will warn everyone that political comments...incuding international politics are not allowed at this site.

Please refrain from same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Old thread but Osram Sylvania and Aero Tech both still make traditional A-19 incandescent as well as florescent and halogen bulbs in the US. LEDnovation also makes top of the line LED light bulbs in the states as well.

most car light bulbs are incandescent[at least the older cars are]whom will replace all of the sockets so that the new bulbs will fit

Our new car has LED lighting on the back. Not sure what the front turn signals, etc. are. And actually I had LED lighting on the rear of a 96 Thunderbird I had.

Seeing what they are doing with modern LEDs (thinking about the Festool Syslite, LED flashlights, and some of the new undercabinet lighting) I'm excited about the future of LED lighting. We converted our post lamp in our front yard over to LEDs. I started using CFLs which cut the energy usage by a huge margin after the first couple sets of incandescents burned out in a relatively short time. The CFLs lasted much longer. But not forever and when they went I replaced them with LEDs and cut energy usage by another huge margin.

I keep reading where CFL's don't give off so much heat. Well, I have no empirical data but I do have a reading lamp a couple feet from my head when I sit down. It has a 13W CFL in it, which supposedly gives off little heat. Maybe, but the built in ballast sure does. When reading, my head starts to sweat from the heat. (Could be friction from the undergreased brain bushings)

We went to CFL's all over the house years ago, and are generally happy with them, although some have not lasted very long at all. In all, we have over a hundered CFL's in the house. It sure adds up when you count ceiling fans, can lights in the kitchen etc.

When COSTCO had them on sale (10 for $2.99, 13W) I loaded up. Got enough for 10 years.

Rick Potter

I too have LED lighting on the back of my new Dodge Grand Caravan. I also converted my motorhome to all LED lighting except the headlights. Unfortunately, most LEDs tend to be made overseas. I'm not sure if the American made LED bulbs use American made LEDs or not.

I just bought some LED bulbs for fixtures in my motorhome. $1.35 each on Ebay including shipping from China! Menards sells them also, but they want $12 each and they are almost certainly made in China too. I bought just one to test and it came from China in about a week. I can't believe they can manufacture and ship something around the world for $1.35.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-30-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Saw-Stop.

Three

Two

One....
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

. I bought just one to test and it came from China in about a week. I can't believe they can manufacture and ship something around the world for $1.35.[/QUOTE]

If they are shipping ten thousand units to the same city, they could afford to ship at this price