Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: End of an era - GE closed last light bulb plant in US

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    . I bought just one to test and it came from China in about a week. I can't believe they can manufacture and ship something around the world for $1.35.
    If they are shipping ten thousand units to the same city, they could afford to ship at this price[/QUOTE]

They shipped me ONE bulb for $1.35 including shipping. They used the Chinese post office. I wish somebody made these in the USA, but nobody does.

Blog Entries
    I have a Black & Decker LED spotlight that works better than those monster 2 million candlepower ones at 1/4 the weight and size and it seems to last forever before needing a recharge.

Also I replaced fourteen 300 watt light bulbs at church with 300 watt CFL's from the BORG. Payback looks like just under 3 years. Saves 3000 watts of energy when in use, which is pretty substantial. Color and perceived output matched the old lights perfectly. They seem to come up to full output in under 5 seconds.

My only major regret when incandescent bulbs become hard to find, is that it's the 'heat' for my dishwasher body wood kiln.
    Overall...it's a big energy saver, so hard to argue with that and the fact that they cause heat where not needed (at least here in the south!).
    I will say this about LEDs, though expensive, they put out a ton of light for the wattage. I'm amazed every evening at the LED deck lights and tree floods. A total of about 20W from them all, and it's provides very nice lighting. The tree floods are only 4.5 watts each and easily light 30+ feet up in the air for the tree it's on.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

When the full "ban" is in place the price, quality and utility of LEDs will take off. It won't be long before we won't be able to imagine going back to old bulbs.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

will the new L E D lights attract bugs and other flying things

There are some new companies that have started making a new type of incandecant bulb that fits into the parameters set forth in the new regulations coming out. I guess it is a process change and a power usage rating to comply with and they are good to go, so you will be able to buy from a "TRULY AMERICAN" company in the future.

I think I bought 30 CFL bulbs and every one of them failed before the promised warranty. What I found out is that they do not like to be put into enclosed ceiling fixtures and they get real hot and almost start on fire ! So now I am back to all incandecants and have a few cupboards full of them and buy a few when they are on sale.

LED bulbs are fine for a lot of things, but I do believe that the majority of them are made in the far east now and will always be unless the government gets out of the way of new business ventures here.

Jeff
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-31-2012 at 8:40 PM. Reason: remocved political comment
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

CFLs say right on the box what type of light fixtures not to use them. I had some can type fixtures on my ceiling fan that the CFL bulbs failed frequently even if the fan was not used during the entire life of the bulb. I finally got a new light fixture for the fan for about $25 and the CFLs haven't burned out yet.

The made in the USA light bulbs are taking advantage of a loophole in the law. Rough service light bulbs can still be made.

I've got a restoration project also Jeff. I found some great old fashioned incandescents at Restoration Hardware. They were very reasonable price wise. Of course I would have paid more for them and might have to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    will the new L E D lights attract bugs and other flying things
    Don't all white lights do that?
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Don't all white lights do that?
    I do not know , that is why I ask

That is why they make the yellow bug lights
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Saw-Stop.

Three

Two

One....
    I see no relevance to the light bulb discussion.....

Anyways, I put LED bulbs in the post light out front when I installed it. It uses 3 bulbs, and I calculated the yearly energy cost at something like $9. The bulbs themselves were $15 for the 3pack at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    When the full "ban" is in place the price, quality and utility of LEDs will take off. It won't be long before we won't be able to imagine going back to old bulbs.
    I am already there.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    My only major regret when incandescent bulbs become hard to find, is that it's the 'heat' for my dishwasher body wood kiln.
    <snip>
    I think you'll be able to buy halogen bulbs for at least a while. More $ though. I wonder if someone will come out with a 100 watt heat source with an Edison base. More than a few light bulbs are used as you are using them, as a heat source.

My first try with LED bulbs ended up with them going right back to the store. I bought some LED bulbs I thought would work in some can lights I have, but the light came out of the edges of the bulbs and not the center of the bulbs. It was cheaper to buy a new fixture that would work with CFLs than to buy other LED bulbs.