Thread: Puppygate

Puppygate

I occasionally get some unusual requests for woodwork. Recently, I received a commission to build a puppy gate - just like a baby gate but to keep dogs in or out of a room. This is really a millwork project but when someone's willing to pay, it's hard to turn the project down.

Puppygate is 51 inches wide (total) and the gate portion is 32". The height is 42" to keep the dogs from being able to jump over it. It's made from 5/4 red oak with early American stain and finished with lacquer. Some people have commented that 42" is not high enough for labs but that's what the client wanted.

The first picture shows the new puppy (and third dog), Tosca, looking forlornly through the gate. The second picture is of the majority of the gate in my house, just stretched across an opening for the picture (jambs not shown).

There's really two "jambs", one on each end of the gate. On the left, the jamb is needed to mate with the door portion of the gate. On the other end, I put a jamb and hinges so that the "fixed" portion can be swung back. This would only be done if you wanted to open up the whole entryway to take furniture in or out (for example). The fixed portion of the gate is screwed into the wood floor and those screws would have to be removed to swing the fixed portion back so it's not going to be done often - but the capability is there.

For the top rail, I used a single piece of wood so the grain is continuous all along the top. I had to point it out to the clients - nobody seems to notice details like that.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great work on a cool project!

Although I think I would have to use 4X4s to keep my boxer from something he wanted on the other side of the gate .

Blog Entries
    Great gate. I would need to think of some other way before I would put screws through a wood floor. But then, it's not my house or my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Great gate. I would need to think of some other way before I would put screws through a wood floor. But then, it's not my house or my dog.
    Actually, it's only one screw. And I don't know any other way to hold the fixed part of the barrier in place. If they ever decide to remove it, the one screw hole shouldn't be too bad to fill.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice work, Mike.

Having had labs for 20+ years, I'll tell you if they really want to get somewhere, they will.

That said, they're mostly content to doze near their family.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

At first glance, I thought the title referred to some sort of conspiracy or shenanigans regarding puppies.

Nice work. To truly solve the issue of dogs going over a gate, you'd have to use a different design. I think it's called a door
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

It is a beautiful gate. No doubt. Wonder what breed the other 2 dogs are. I have a choc. lab and have never needed more than her crate when she was a pup and I have used a baby gate leaned against the opening when I have workers in the house, just so she won't lick them to death and they can actually do their work.
    Vicki
    Last edited by Vicki Hayden; 09-26-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Hey, I realize that whole Nixon getting the dog Checkers thing is long gone, but any reference to puppygate is technically a political discussion and is not allowed on the forum!

Seriously, I will not let my dog in the room for fear she will see this and want one as nice for herself!