I recently obtained a motor for my fixer upper compressor. Thanks again to the creeker.... you know who you are http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newthrea...newthread&f=3#
Cool

The motor is a 3HP 220V 1 PH Baldor. I've noticed only two leads coming from the motor with no place for ground.

Please validate something for me...

1. The motor has two leads which hook up to the pressure switch. This device holds the circuit open until the pressure drops below the set point. The switch closes the contacts for the leads and then provides current to the motor to drive the compressor head.

2. The plug/wire from the pressure switch to the 220V outlet (this will have a ground) is somehow grounded within the pressure switch? Since the pressure switch is screwed into the compressor tank, the motor obtains it's ground as it's bolted to the same tank?

Before I go putzing in there, I just want to make sure I have the theory of operations right.... With that I can figure it out from there.

I don't yet have the plumbing (pressur switch, guages, piping, etc) and will pbly pick that up over the following weeks. Is it safe to assumg galvanized 1/4" is typical for this? I've looked at other compressors and the pipes sure looked like brass to me.

Do you think there would be an electrolysis (sp) issue w/ using galvanized piping?

Thanks to everyone here for your constant advice.

Joe in Tampa...