Thread: Shop nears completion

Shop nears completion

I recently posted questions regarding shop lighting and promised to post some pics of the construction. The building replaces a detached 2 car garage with a 2 1/2 car, 1 1/2 story garage with a 24x18 shop attached to the rear of the garage. The shop is accessible to the garage through a 10' door, allowing for more space when needed. The attic space above the garage is accessed from the shop and will be used for lumber and sheet good storage, moved by a hoist that will be installed on the ridge beam.

The first photo is looking into the shop from the garage through the 10' access door. The second pic is looking west in the shop from the door to the garage. The third is the south wall where I will have my bench at the windows. The last pic is the opening to the space above the garage--the double 2x4's to the ridge beam are temporary.

Any final suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

OOOOOHHHHHH. I like! Very nice space. I'm really jealous of the headroom. Nice use of the attic apace above the garage for wood storage. Nothing like free space. How will you access the wood loft when you need to go look for that right piece of wood? Are there pull down stairs in the garage? And it looks like there is some natural light up there, or is it a flood light that was on for the picture?
    Congrats! can't wait to see pictures of it filled up with tools. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

From the looks of things, my only suggestion is this: more pictures. much more. And definitely more 'progress' pictures. That space is really neat!.

Blog Entries
    Suh-weeet!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You built it in the wrong yard. You'll find my place in western NC.... labor is cheap here to boot. Whaddaya say?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Very very nice! Will look great full of machines!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Really nice John. I like it a lot.

Thanks! Up to now, I've been limited to a bench and hand tools in the basement and all machine work was done at the woodshop at a local art center. It will be great to finally have a space of my own and not have to schlep materials back and forth to work on a project.

Jim: The storage space will be accessed by a set of pull-down loft stairs in the shop, mounted above the door. There is natural light up there through two dormer windows on the front of the building. The headroom up there is limited, but I hope to take advantage of a corner of the space someday with a drafting table and use it for designing.

Mitchell: It probably would have been easier for me to locate it in western NC. The planning and execution has taken over 3 years. With heavy rain, water problems were an issue in the old garage, so I had to be certain this would not be repeated. We also live in a designated historic neighborhood, so the exterior had to be "correct".

Van: Yes, machines, that's the next step. I've had plenty of time to mull over the layout--hopefully it will work!

Thanks again. I'll post more as I get closer to moving in.

Shop update

The nasty weather has delayed completion of the exterior, but the interior is finished and I've started to move in. The first order of business has been the installation of the dust collection. I mounted the cyclone in the garage, outside the shop and routed the filter outlet back inside to recirculate conditioned air. It's a lot of work, but so far so good!
    Cyclone.jpg Filter and intake.jpg
    I found a local source for Lindab spiral pipe at very reasonable prices and am running a 6" main around the perimeter of 3 walls. The cathedral ceiling prevented installation of a more efficient run.

pipe 1.jpgpipe 2.jpg

Looks Great John. I like the hangers for your pipe. Did you build those?

Blog Entries
    Awesome John.

A shop to be very proud of. Almost too nice to be called a shop really.

I see you chose Oneida for your dust collector. Good call. Looks like thier duct and fittings also.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Looks Great John. I like the hangers for your pipe. Did you build those?
    Thanks Joe. I made the hangers from 3/4 ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Awesome John.

A shop to be very proud of. Almost too nice to be called a shop really.

I see you chose Oneida for your dust collector. Good call. Looks like thier duct and fittings also.

PHM
    Thanks Paul. Yes, I'm happy how it has turned out. Plan to spend a lot of time there. I found a local source for 28 ga spiral duct and fittings that was cheaper than Oneida's and on par with ASTM 2729