Thread: Handsaw Tote

Handsaw Tote

Fairly recently, someone wrote a thread with a step by step detail of making a handsaw tote. It told how to cut the groove for the blade, etc. For the life of me, I cannot find it through searching this forum. Anyone remember it?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I like this method:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...SawHandles.htm

There are a few others, but this is the one that has been most helpful to me.

Tom,

Zack's link shows a good method to get the slot for the blade centered and located. Good idea if you have a spare backsaw blade laying around.

Another easy way to do it is to pencil two lines with a gap between them the thickness of the blade centered on the thickness of the tote. Mark the beginning and end point of the final slot. Then use a rip tenon saw to cut the slot. Just stay between the lines and cut sort of on one side, rotate the tote and cut a little more, rotate again and cut some more. Keep doing this until you have cut about 3/8" deep all around from start point to finish point. Now you have a kerf that will help guide the rest of the sawing of the slot. Take your time and go slow.

Marv

Thanks guys, what would be different about cutting the kerf in the handle for a regular hand saw (vs backsaw)?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Tim,

For a saw tote that doesn't have a "cover top", the method would be the same.

Cover top totes such as the Disston D8,s, is a whole different ballgame.

Marv

when i have done this I have been building saws from kits (none of which I have yet completed) and I have had a blade the precise kerf width I need that has zero set, so I just sharpen it without setting the teeth. it's kind of slow going, but it is deadly accurate.