Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0514X2 19" vs. JET WBS-18QT-3

Grizzly G0514X2 19" vs. JET WBS-18QT-3

JET/PM 3000hr sale for the tablesaws and bandsaws kicked in today. With the sale, 18" QT-3 became $1399 w/free shipping which happens to be slightly cheaper than G0514X2 19" ($1395 +$95). In terms of cutting capacity, they are equals despite of the 18" vs 19" badges. Both are 3HP. G has a tabletop 7+" longer than Jet. Warranty for G is one year while Jet has five years.

Both costing about the same, which way would you go if you were to be shopping for this type of bandsaw now? As far as I can tell, this is the cheapest ever this bandsaw from Jet came down too. Also, I understand that this QT version had replaced the X version making it "stiffer". Is that correct? Thanks for the input.

Blog Entries
    The QT has the "new" triagonal box, supposedly making it stiffer than a typical square box. I have been waiting for this sale to pick up that exact model... though after doing a bit of digging, I'm trying to find their 18" metal/wood saw in a 3HP size to get that instead (variable speed). So far, I've seen it listed in both 1HP and 3HP models, but they only appear to sell the 1HP model in the states... I'll be calling come Monday.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just read through the JetTools pages for that bandsaw, it looks significantly improved over their previous 18" versions. One thing I couldn't find was the weight. I'd be happy with that bandsaw in my shop.

However, the G0514x2 has two things going for it which would make it my choice between these two. First, it has the footbrake, which is a must for me. I like to be able to shut the tool off from any standing position, and without letting go of the workpiece with both hands. I have never liked the hand motions of letting looks the workpiece and pulling past the blade to shut saw off...because I usually then want to reach back up and hold the workpiece or remove a cut off or what not... and this cycle has always seemed to me to be the most un-focused and risky time on a bandsaw, when I'm "finished" but whipping my hands around a still running blade. Also, I find myself on the outside of the saw or backside when pulling or guiding taller boards through, and I like being able to just tap the foot brake and shut saw off without moving around saw while trying to hold the wood still.

Second, the 514x2 has a super sturdy rack/pinion extra table support that is used to set the table angle also. I like the extra support it gives the table for resawing large logs, as well as being able to set precise angles without trying to hold table weight with one hand and table-lock with the other. Granted I've done little angled sawing actually, but still I like this feature.

I have a PM66 and was quite pleased with the WHM? (PM/Jet/Wilton) customer service the one time I needed it, so no negative words there. However, in my book the Grizzly cust. service would be an advantage to Grizzly on any purchase. 5 year warranty would be nice, I'm not sure how to rate that extended warranty opportunity to work with a companies cust. service, since I have never actually used any warranty on a tool between 1 and 5 years.

Probably can't go wrong with either saw, but I'd get the G0514x2 personally.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blade size?

Here's the difference between Grizzly and Jet.

Blade size

Grizzly: Blade sizes available: 1/8" - 1-1/4"
    Jet: Maximum Saw Blade Width 1½ "

Foot Brake

Grizzly: Yes
    Jet :No

It's funny that Jet 18" inch bandsaw doesn't have a foot brake, but their 20" bandsaw have them.

Weight

Jet: 387 pound
    Grizzly:480 lbs.

Table Size

Jet: 19 x 19 "
    Grizzly: 26-3/4" x 19"

If any of those doesn't bother you, then go with Jet.

I would probably go grizzly for he larger table, rack and pinion table adjustment, foot brake, and Grizzly CS. I am sure both are great saws and will serve you well. I love my 513X2.

edit to add: I have had both fences. Both are functional but the one on the G514x2 is nicer.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 09-26-2010 at 7:51 PM.

The 5 year warranty (and in my WHM experience on site repair) could be really impotant to some people, if the 1 year warranty doesn't trip your risk factor then I would get the G514X2 if nothing else for the foot brake, this is a requirement for me on anything larger than 14" for the reasons Dave illustrated. The rest of the major differences are a non-issue to me. I have used the "new" Jet and it is a solid saw, on sale now it is a very resonable price.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    However, the G0514x2 has two things going for it which would make it my choice between these two. First, it has the footbrake, which is a must for me. I like to be able to shut the tool off from any standing position, and without letting go of the workpiece with both hands.
    [...]
    Probably can't go wrong with either saw, but I'd get the G0514x2 personally.
    Follow-up question: What is your take on the "magnetic brake" then? It slows down the blade by braking the motor but only after pushing the OFF button, hence the hand off the work piece. Foot brake turns the motor off too. X2B version with the magnetic brake takes the foot pedal off while adding $100 to the price to add the magnetic brake on the motor. Confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    Follow-up question: What is your take on the "magnetic brake" then? It slows down the blade by braking the motor but only after pushing the OFF button, hence the hand off the work piece. Foot brake turns the motor off too. X2B version with the magnetic brake takes the foot pedal off while adding $100 to the price to add the magnetic brake on the motor. Confusing...
    I personally would MUCH rather have a foot brake. You can reach the foot brake from any position you work and bandsaw (not true with a motor brake) and you don't have to use one of your hand (again by definition not true with a foot brake). In the end I find the foot brake adds a degree of safety that the motor brake does not.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    The foot brake is actually a drum brake. You have to step on it and apply force to bring it to a quick stop (although just a tap will turn off the motor). The other brake doesn't require any force to stop it, so there's no reason for a foot pedal...although clearly everyone prefers the pedal. Me too

I have the G0514X2 with the foot brake, and I'm quite happy with it. There's no way I would own a larger bandsaw like this without a brake. With a 1" blade on it, the thing turns for over 30 seconds after I've turned it off.

Anyhow, I''m happy with my G0514X2. Given a chance, I'd certainly rather have one of the high end European imports, but if I'm going to buy an Asian machine, it's tough to go wrong with the 514. That's just my opinion. There's nice bandsaws out there all hovering more or less around the same price points (though they're all more than the Grizz I think).

Foot brake.
    Haven't used a "motor brake", but it doesn't do the things I think are most important to my band saw safety, which is keep me from moving my hands around with running blade just as "it's over", keep my eyes on the work, and let me hit "off" from anywhere around the saw. I'm by FAR a fan of the foot brake. I like that Grizzly is always adding value to their band saw line, this is just one area where I'd rather have the "lesser" option. Again, haven't used one with motor brake though.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

It sounds like foot brake wins over magnetic-motor brake for obvious reasons; motor brake neglects one of the main reasons why the brake is needed at the first place - keep both hands on the work piece till balde stops. I am not sure how quickly the foot brake stops the blade but wouldn't be nice to have the foot brake to activate the motor brake instead of the mechanical drum brake which requires to hold the pedal to be pressed till blade stops??? I can't imagine it would be costing more to do so.

You can stop the blade very quickly with the footbrake, just step down on it a bit harder. Just like an old bicycle brake.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    You can stop the blade very quickly with the footbrake, just step down on it a bit harder. Just like an old bicycle brake.

Depends on the type of saw.

If there are cast iron wheels moving at a pretty good clip, it will require a lot more pressure. I have a 24" resaw bandsaw in my shop and there is no way I can stop the blade just by stepping on it harder because the momentum of the wheels is so much. I use the foot brake mainly to slow down the "after-spin" so the blade does not keep turning for a long time when the saw is turned off. At that point, I am genrally done with the cut and am using the table as a support to grab on to when stepping on the brake. The G0514 series is not so bad and comes to stop much faster than my saw with a foot brake, but not as fast as the motor brake.

The cost of the motor brake is much more than the $100.00 being charged, but removing the foot brake assembly reduces the price so its only $100.00. Everything has a price and sometimes we have to make a call on where to stop.

Just an FYI: If you want the 514 with the electric brake, but really want a foot switch, there's no reason I see that you can't hook up a foot switch in series with the magnetic switch contactor. You can get normally closed, momentary foot switches for less than $100, and the wiring is pretty basic for someone who's familiar with how this stuff works.

re: Shiraz's bandsaw

You know, I'd really love to see a picture of your shop someday. I envision a large mansion somewhere. The wife has everything from the ground floor to the attic, but you slide a bookshelf out of the way and get into an industrial freight elevator (the kind where you swing those big steel doors to get in and out). As you go down, you would notice miles of ductworks for air handling and dust collection. Finally, you get to the basement, and with a sequence of loud *CHUNKS*, row after row of lights come on. At about this point, you realize you have to go back out because you forgot to pick up that 1/4-20 threaded rod you needed...
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 09-28-2010 at 4:34 PM.