Thread: Advice.... please

Advice.... please

I'm considering buying the EXOA-2 blade cover/vacuum for my Porter-Cable table saw (PCB270TS), to replace the original blade cover that comes with the saw.

The URL for the EXOA-2 is:
    http://www.exaktortools.com/index2.htm

The blade cover will allow the use of the original riving knife and kickback pawls, which I think is important.

I'd appreciate any advice, comments, etc. you may have, as I'm still quite a novice with woodworking.

Saul

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Levinson View Post
    I'm considering buying the EXOA-2 blade cover/vacuum for my Porter-Cable table saw (PCB270TS), to replace the original blade cover that comes with the saw.

The URL for the EXOA-2 is:
    http://www.exaktortools.com/index2.htm

The blade cover will allow the use of the original riving knife and kickback pawls, which I think is important.

I'd appreciate any advice, comments, etc. you may have, as I'm still quite a novice with woodworking.

Saul
    I think the overarm guards are a good choice for the most part. I have a General International Excalibur and I like it. I often find that I have to adjust it on narrow rips to allow my hands to clear it, but I'll live with the inconvenience.

I can't speak to the Exactor specifically, but I endorse the basic design.

Cheers,

Chris
    Ch
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I like my excalibur. Does not get all the dust, but it gets a lot of it. It can be cumbersome to work around at times, but I can swing it out of the way if needed
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I have an Excalibur on my ICS SawStop. Basically, it is almost the same as the one you are looking at. Based on the size of your saw, I'm not sure it is your best choice because your saw is pretty small and light. IMHO, I would look at the Shark Guard. Lots of people love them.

If you still want to go with the one you sellected, I would look at mounting it from above.

If dust collection is the largest issue you're looking at solving another possible (and significanly cheaper) solution might be a Shark Guard, he doesn't make one specifically for the PC, but since it is almost identical to the Hitachi C10FL you may want to check with him.

Hi Saul, I had an Excalibur overarm guard on a General 650 saw and really liked it. It had good dust collection and could be used for non through cuts such as dado and rebates.

The Shark Guard is nice, however it can't be used with non through cuts, so it wasn't one that I considered.

Regards, Rod.