Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0514X2 19" vs. JET WBS-18QT-3

[QUOTE=Shiraz Balolia;1523758]Depends on the type of saw.

If there are cast iron wheels moving at a pretty good clip, it will require a lot more pressure. QUOTE]

Apparently, it depends on the saw. You can stop several bandsaws I have used very quickly with a very light application of the brake, even those in the 24"+ range.

John, The Grizzly Cave? Ala the Bat Cave...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

2. Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    You know, I'd really love to see a picture of your shop someday. I envision a large mansion somewhere. The wife has everything from the ground floor to the attic, but you slide a bookshelf out of the way and get into an industrial freight elevator (the kind where you swing those big steel doors to get in and out). As you go down, you would notice miles of ductworks for air handling and dust collection. Finally, you get to the basement, and with a sequence of loud *CHUNKS*, row after row of lights come on. At about this point, you realize you have to go back out because you forgot to pick up that 1/4-20 threaded rod you needed...
    You got most of it right, except for the industrial freight elevator part. Built a long ramp down the backyard so that a forklift could run up and down with the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    JET/PM 3000hr sale for the tablesaws and bandsaws kicked in today. With the sale, 18" QT-3 became $1399 w/free shipping which happens to be slightly cheaper than G0514X2 19" ($1395 +$95). In terms of cutting capacity, they are equals despite of the 18" vs 19" badges. Both are 3HP. G has a tabletop 7+" longer than Jet. Warranty for G is one year while Jet has five years.

Both costing about the same, which way would you go if you were to be shopping for this type of bandsaw now? As far as I can tell, this is the cheapest ever this bandsaw from Jet came down too. Also, I understand that this QT version had replaced the X version making it "stiffer". Is that correct? Thanks for the input.
    I don't know if the QT version is stiffer, it might be. I have the X version, but in 1.75 horsepower, because I needed 110V. I don't know exactly what would need to be "stiffer" on it. I think it's hype, or at best a problem solved that didn't exist.

I'd rather have the jet than the grizzly. The fit and finish on grizzly stuff isn't quite as good as Jet (usually, that may not be universally true), and the warranty is four years shorter.

I have never felt like I needed a bigger table.

The X version is a little over 400 pounds. I would imagine the QT is probably about the same.

Jet went into space on their pricing right after I got mine. I would get it at the price you've stated. At Jet's regular price, I would get the grizzly if for no other reason than to stick it in WMH's eye over the ridiculous price increases over the last few years. If I could've found a comparable grizzly for much cheaper than the jet, I probably would've gotten it when I got mine, but the local saw shop was unloading an extra and I got it *really* cheap and dropped off in my shop by the shop owner. In PA, I have to pay grizzly tax, full rate shipping and then a lift gate fee, which sours the deal some.

I have no loyalty to either company. I can't get too excited about power tools in general, especially when you never know where the next model is coming from and whether or not it bears any relation to the reputation of the previous model. I do appreciate, though, that all of the tools are relatively cheap and will do what you need them to do.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-29-2010 at 9:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Shortly before the sale started, I began looking at the VBS-18MW instead of my then-favorite the JWBS-18QT-3. I liked the extra power of the QT, but the variable speed of the MW was a real plus as I'd like to work with metal using the same saw (but only coming in a 1.75HP version for the States... the European guys get a 3HP model ).

I called and asked, but Jet says 'no' to sending me a 3HP MW... considering it's not on sale (about $2k shipped is the best I could find), either, I'm thinking I'll stick with the QT for $1,400 shipped and worry about adding some selectable pulley/idle bar system sometime in the future if I really need it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

OK... the decision has been made. Thank you all for sharing opinions/experiences. I am going to go ahead with the Jet 18QT-3. It seems like things I am missing, regardless of they are major factors, are the size of the table, foot brake and two speeds. Neither of them are significant factors for me, at least for the time being. I can wait for the wheel to stop spinning because I am not a production shop. I can always extend the table as needed (I may get a Driftmaster anyway). It maybe nice to have table tilt mechanisms like G does too but not a deal breaker. I would feel more comfortable with the five years of warranty and CS support from Monique (sp) offered by Jet. I am also hoping that I may have a better chance of having a better "resale" value with the Jet if I feel the need to move on (this is not based on any research but just my "feeling" therefore please don't hurt it ).

I made an attempt to buy it locally. After making tens of calls to places on "where to buy near me" list, general advice I was given was to order online. They either didn't honor the sale price, didn't deliver without up to $100 charge or deliver at all and 7% tax which comes to $98 extra. I still have to wait, I still have to deal with Jet directly if something goes wrong even if I buy local... I don't see the point of buying "local" especially several of them giving me their unsolicited advice to order online. My answer is "Yes, I will order online. Thank you."

Where is my wife's credit card now?