Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why oh why.......??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Is this just because I am getting OLD ???
    No, that is not it (my standard age denial statement).

I have experienced all those things but one. Nothing short of my own mother dying of a heart attack at my feet would interrupt me during a glue-up (LOML is a big-girl, she can fend for herself). Seeming how the glue-up stage(s) and the finishing stage(s) are the two places that you can make all your effort up to that point go south; nothing stops that process ;-)

P.s. Famous last words
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    For the same reason that if you need 8 screws they will only come 7 to a package in the size you need.

Or if you add 10% to an order for concrete you will have twice what you need otherwise you will be about 2 feet short.

Remember that missing tools, screws, pencils and tape measures are always in the last place you look.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-27-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

[QUOTE=David Helm;1522794]My problem is, I can have a tool in my hand and be using it. I'll put it down for a minute (maybe get a cup of coffee) and it will have disappeared. The next twenty minutes are spent searching for the tool I just had!
    +2
    My dad had a couple of large cans full of screws. One day after he retired I stopped by and he had these cans all emptied across his workbench. He said he finally had the time and was was going to separate them by type and size and put them in different cans/bottles. A couple of years after he passed I was doing some work at my mom's house and went to his shop to find a screw. All of the screws were back in a couple of cans. When I asked mom about it she said she was tired ot looking at all the cans/bottles and "cleaned up the mess" by putting it all in a couple of cans. I could here dad rolling.....
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

WELL ,sometime I find what I was looking for in the first place that I look
    How can I overlook sometime at big as a house-?

A while back I decided it was best to just quitting for things and wait for them to appear. If I can't find something in a minute or two, I move on to something else. Invariably the item I was looking for presents itself shortly thereafter. And it is always right where I left it.

According to my son this is a symptom of Attention Deficit Disorder. I think it's more likely a manifestation of Cluttered Shop Syndrome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    For the same reason that if you need 8 screws they will only come 7 to a package in the size you need.
    That's right! I forgot about that one. How do they know? . . .. spooky.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This happened to me just the other day. Not only does it happen with tools and screws, usually computer parts, keys, pens... I still don't know where my checkbook went, but it will show up again when I don't want it.

The other day, I had my small digital camera with me. I'd been taking pics at a friend's house. I dropped the camera onto the passenger's seat and it bounced, rolling down between the seat and the passenger door.

In the split-second moments between that happening and myself getting into the car's drivers seat and closing the door, the camera had completely left my thoughts, so I no longer remembered to reach over and pick it up from where it had rolled, now out of sight and out of mind.

When I got home, I took the mail and other things I'd gotten inside and set them on my desk. I went to the bathroom, and did a bit of vacuuming. Returned to my desk to download the pictures from the camera onto my computer. But the camera wasn't on my desk with the other things I'd brought in from the car. I was sure I had rbought it in with everything else, and I spent half an hour scouring the house and tracing my path everywhere I'd been, looking for it. At one point I even went back out to the car, but didn't see it, and didn't remember that it had rolled out of sight, so went back in the house to search some more.

Finally I gave up. Frustrated, angry, and worn out, I sat down at my desk to rest and have a drink. Just then, pop! Into my brain came an image of the camera, rolling over the edge of the seat and out of sight in the car. I got up and went back to the car, and there it was, between the seat and the door. Now, WHY could I not remember that when I first noticed the camera wasn't on my desk instead of 30+ minutes later???

Happens to me ALL the time and it gets so frustrating, especially with something I had in my hand SECONDS earlier and just laid down 'somewhere'. Argh!

Most of the time I spend on a project is spent looking for missing tools.

Bill,

Was listening to a friend who just got home from the grocery store and told me about a gentleman she encountered who passed her by saying: "Damn it, I forgot it again, Damn, damn, damn". I can relate to that guy. And I've had all of the situations listed in Bill's list happen to me more than once. My favorite saying has become: "My mind won't save my feet." I just don't worry about it as much. Wouldn't do any good, anyway.

Bill,
    I thought I was the only one with those problems. I have four 12" combo squares, 3 cheapos and a starrett. Guess which one I've looked everywhere for and can't find.
    Gary

I had a bad habit of sticking a screw-driver in my back-pocket and then forget about it being there///a screw-driver will make a hole in your car-seat and hold you in the seat when you need to get out quickly

When you get old, you get forgetful. You forget that you've forgotten stuff like that all your life.

My wife doesn't work in my shop at all, but she can find "missing" things a lot faster than I can. Just this morning she found the wood putty that I was looking for. Of course it was just where I left it about four months ago.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Yup!! I can verify that yer gettin' old Bill............because I have those same problems.

Plus................ if the project is suppose to cost me $xxx.xx dollars it always costs at least twice as much! My math skills are goin' to hell too.

Good post Bill.

I lost my Makita cordless drill. Looked for over an hour, tore the shop apart.
    Finally decided to wait till the wife got home and ask her if she used it.
    When she drove up I saw it. Laying on the step bumper under the tail gate of the PU she had taken shopping. Right where I'd left it.
    34 miles and it didn't fall off or get stolen. The tool Gods were with me.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Just started looking at this thread. It has to be one of the best.....threads......ever........ . Every post a winner!

Ken, Another chance to mention the new jointer, eh? I am still not jealous...

Laurie, you missed the simple answer. Next time you're missing something, just start drinking sooner!
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."