Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door ideas for new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post
    I built triple doors on a 12'w x 8'h opening. The door in the middle swings in and is hinged to one of the side doors which both swing out. Cane bolts hold the two side doors in place most of the time as the middle door gets most used.

I made these doors lightweight and insulated using 1/4" AC plywod front and back over a 2x clear cedar frame with 1-1/2" styrofoam sheets sandwiched inside. I can easily lift each 4 x 8 panel.

If anyone is interested I will provide construction details, just ask.

Bret

Hi Bret,

I'm interested in the construction details.
    - Are the doors a simple skinned perimeter frame or are there additional stringers inside the perimeter?
    - How did you protect/finish the edges of the plywood skins? Are they rabbeted into the frame?
    - One of the doors has a second door hanging off of it. When closed, or when closing, there is an equivalent 8' wide door hanging off of the hinges. Do you see any sagging, and/or did you beef up the jamb?

Thanks,
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    I still prefer a slider, like the one I put on my shop. Relatively inexpensive to build, but solid as a rock. Slides easily and I can get anything through it. I haven't insulated it, but it would be easy to do with closed cell foam.

Attachment 162785

I have to agree on a sliding door, I put one into my polebarn/woodshop, except I went inside, and put 2" iso insulation board on it. If there is rain or snow and its blowing, the weatherstriping at the bottom catches it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Roblin View Post
    Hi Bret,

I'm interested in the construction details.
    - Are the doors a simple skinned perimeter frame or are there additional stringers inside the perimeter?
    - How did you protect/finish the edges of the plywood skins? Are they rabbeted into the frame?
    - One of the doors has a second door hanging off of it. When closed, or when closing, there is an equivalent 8' wide door hanging off of the hinges. Do you see any sagging, and/or did you beef up the jamb?

Thanks,
    Murray
    Hey Murry,

I attached a little Sketchup drawing.

Yes, it's a simple plywood skinned frame and the plywood edges are sanded and painted but exposed.

The frame stiles are made of 2 x 2 clear western red cedar, the rails are 2 x 4 of the same wood. I re-enforced the hinge area with a 2 x 6 block. I used cedar because it's fairly stable and lightweight. I used 1/4" A/C plywood to keep the wieght down also. By keeping them light and using heavy duty hinges, sagging has not been a problem and handling the doors is a n easy one-man operation.

So build the frame first, I just butt joined and used long screws. Then cut 1-1/2" styrofoam sheets to fill the hollow area of the door. Then I sandwiched everything together between the two sheets of plywood using a 1-1/4 narrow crown stapler. Make sure you do this on a flat surface to help keep the doors flat. Then I added the cedar trim detail to the outside using 1 x 4s.

I've got the middle door swinging in and the two side doors swinging out to save room in the shop. Sealing the gap between the door and the jamb is a bit of an issue with this arrangement and you might want to consider swing everything the same direction.

Hope that covers it, Bret
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the info.

One of the best attributes of my small shop is the dual door setup. Each end has a large 8ft+ wide door. Cross ventilation is exceptional. Large items, such as lumber or sheet ply, can arrive in the front. Large items, like cabinet cases, go out the back for finishing.

I have no opinion on the type of door, but I would highly recommend two of whatever you choose.