Thread: What assortment of bandsaw blades to start with

What assortment of bandsaw blades to start with

I just purchased the Jet 14 DXPRO bandsaw on sale from Tool Nut, took advantage of the sale price/free shipping/no sales tax. I'll post pics when it gets here (please no discussion on tool choice- I researched this for months).

So now I need some blades. The manual says 1/8 to 3/4 105" blades. I plan on doing a little bit of everything, I went with this particular saw because of the built in re-saw capacity (no riser block fiasco's) so I figure a 3/4 3TPI resaw blade. I was thinking of getting a 1/8 higher TPI for thin stock/scroll work, and then maybe a 1/4 blade for general use. Or maybe just a 3/16 blade to split the difference. I realize that "best" would one of everything, but trying to keep it to two or three blades to start with.

Looking at Carter blades mainly because I get get with Amazon Prime right now, but will also look at Timberwolf, they seem to be popular around here. I don't think the saw comes with a blade, so I would like to order in the next day or two so I can play with- I mean- try out the new tool when it gets here.

Thanks.
    Where did I put that?

Pretty sure your saw will come with at least one blade.

Laguna has some nice blades for resawing. Resaw king and kerf king are good.

Timberwolfs would be my second blade order for that saw.

No experience with carter blades personally. I have lenox blades but those are both 1.25 blades.

Hope you like your saw.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

what about widths of the blades?
    Where did I put that?

Without dredging out MY copy, and violating copyright laws and stuff ... I'd wholeheartedly recommend Mark Duginske's "Band Saw Book."

Not only does he cover this -- most basic, and incredibly important -- topic, well, but ... pretty much everything you could possibly need to know, and about 3,000 things you'll NEVER "need" to know ... about your new tool !

I think there's another author, with a comparably well-reviewed book, but ... I've got Duginske's, and think it's a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pierce View Post
    I just purchased the Jet 14 DXPRO bandsaw on sale from Tool Nut, took advantage of the sale price/free shipping/no sales tax. I'll post pics when it gets here (please no discussion on tool choice- I researched this for months).
    I use a 1/4" blade for curve cutting. Keep in mind, the thinner the blade, the more difficult it is to cut a straight line (even though you can do tighter curves with thinner blades).

I use a 1/2" blade for general purpose cutting.
    I have another 1/2" blade designed by Timerwolf for cutting bowl blanks.

Then I have a resaw blade. Research your saw.. They may say that you can use a blade up to X width, but that doesn't necessarily mean the widest blade possible is the best choice. For example, I used to have a Delta 14" BS. I can not remember exact numbers, but I believe it had 3/4" blade capacity, but people said that they got better resaw results from a 1/2" resaw blade, just because it is easier to tension a thinner blade .. Maybe that was not the reason... But my point is.. The thickest blade the manufacturer says your machine can handle is not necessarily the best for resawing.

I think a 3/4" wide resaw blade is too wide for your saw and you will fight it. I would try a 1/2" variable TPI resaw blade first and see how you like it. I really like the Woodslicer blades on my 16" Walker Turner. You get a narrower kerf with a 1/2" resaw blade. Wider isn't always better.

If it were me I'd get a 3/16" for curves and a 1/2" for long tapers and resawing.

I've had probs tensioning a 3/4" blade on my 14" saw.

thanks for the replies...

reguarding the book, I'm looking on my kindle app, there is a "BandSaw Book" by Ronnie Bird, and "the new complete guide to the band saw" by Duginske. I can't tell the copyright dates on my iPhone, I'll see which one is newer. I'm all about finding a good book on the subject.

Rodger that on the blade width. The jet website does mention a "New high tension spring design allows for greater blade tensioning." I watched a guy do a pretty good job slicing 1/8 veneers of 6" wenge with a 1/4 blade on a Powermatic 14 BS. I'll start with the 1/2 (or 5/8?) and see how it goes. I've also read that the thicker blades may not be suited for 14" wheels and really should be used on larger wheels due to flexibility issues, etc.
    Where did I put that?