Thread: Minimax S45 Bandsaw restoration progress

Minimax S45 Bandsaw restoration progress

I have been looking for a bandsaw for quite some time and was very close to pulling the trigger on a Rikon Deluxe 14" when this came up on CL. Ended up getting it for literally next to nothing (the actual price will only upset you). It was missing a few parts, abused, and in poor shape. I actually picked it up from an old airplane hanger in the middle of an orange grove. They had been using it to cut aluminum and plastic. With no blades, he could only turn on the motor to prove it worked. The initial picture doesn't show it very well, but in person the entire saw was covered in what looked like weld burns from slag and was caked in 20+ years of dirt. The inside was loaded with metal shavings and that were embedded in the tires- cleaning that out was a treat... I can probably still pick metal bits out of my fingers.

I tore it down to a bare frame, painted (Gun Metal Grey and Metallic Black) and cleaned everything, replaced all wiring, new bearings in the wheels, and added a link belt. All that's left is to clean up the table. Everything went well and the saw is back together, but I could use some advice now.

The saw was missing parts of the guides, so I ordered guides from Carter and have installed those. Blades and an on/off switch should be arriving today. Anyone know of an aftermarket fence that I can make work with this table? I can drill and tap holes if needed. The Kreg fence is nice, but I think it may be a little short being made for 14" saws. I'm considering the Laguna Driftmaster but don't know if it can be adapted for other machines. I'm open to the Minimax fence if anyone has experience with them, but so far my emails to them to get part numbers and prices have gone unanswered.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have the Driftmaster so I can't be 100% sure, but I would swear I saw numerous post about using them on lots of different bandsaws. I know for some reason, I was pretty sure I could make it fit my Delta/Rockwell 14"...

Hi Mike,

I have the same saw. The fence is not great. If I were you, I would get an after market fence and not the stock fence. There is an angle iron that goes between the split table to keep it flat. The stock fence attachés to that. Not a good design. You do however need the angle iron if the fence you decide on does not have it. if you need any photo's or anything let me know.

Sam

I called Laguna and confirmed the Driftmaster to work with my table, they also emailed me the manual. Sounds like a winner!

You will love the DM! Keep us updated on your progress.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Nice work on the paintjob and restoration so far!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

So, you gonna make this a gloat when its all done? Sounds like it'll be a great BS. Congrats. And kudos to you for taking the time to strip it down and repaint it. Thought about that on my 1947 lathe, but opted not to. Keep the photos coming.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the compliments! It's actually fun for me to tear down and rebuild power equipment. Last fall I found a listing on CL for a cabinet shop that was closing, the guy was in his 60s and the equipment for sale was bought originally by his Father who had passed away. All he asked was that I didn't flip it for profit and wanted it to go to someone that would enjoy it as much as they did. I had to make 2 trips (truck wasn't big enough) but ended up with a 1940s Delta Rockwell Unisaw, a 3HP Shaper, and a 3HP RAS. Took quite a while and found tons of help at OWWM, but one at a time I tore each down, cleaned, painted, and replaced lots of bearings. I actually tried to pay him more for the equipment but he wouldn't have it, stated what he felt his asking prices were fair! Strange as it may sound, the newest piece of large equipment I have is this Bandsaw. Even my Jointer is a Delta Rockwell from the early 70s. The only thing that doesn't match is the Grizzly dust collector. The green looks hideous with all the black and gray.

Gonna be a real treat when we move next spring. Truck may be riding a little low...

I guess this was a bit of a Stealth gloat, I'll make it official after making a cut or two with it (hopefully this weekend). The new power switch and blades arrived yesterday, but at 110 degrees it was a little toasty to work in the garage when I got home from work. It's supposed to start cooling off as the week goes on.
    Last edited by Mike Reinholtz; 09-28-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Mike,

I have the same saw. The fence is not great. If I were you, I would get an after market fence and not the stock fence. There is an angle iron that goes between the split table to keep it flat. The stock fence attachés to that. Not a good design. You do however need the angle iron if the fence you decide on does not have it. if you need any photo's or anything let me know.

Sam
    I agree, the stock fence is not very good. It is just a piece of 2"x1" metal tubing with a small piece of angle iron welded to it. A thumbscrew tightens it to another piece of angle iron bolted to the underside of the table. You will be much happier with an aftermarket fence.

Steve