Thread: Minimax S45 Bandsaw restoration progress

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Minimax S45 Bandsaw restoration progress

I have been looking for a bandsaw for quite some time and was very close to pulling the trigger on a Rikon Deluxe 14" when this came up on CL. Ended up getting it for literally next to nothing (the actual price will only upset you). It was missing a few parts, abused, and in poor shape. I actually picked it up from an old airplane hanger in the middle of an orange grove. They had been using it to cut aluminum and plastic. With no blades, he could only turn on the motor to prove it worked. The initial picture doesn't show it very well, but in person the entire saw was covered in what looked like weld burns from slag and was caked in 20+ years of dirt. The inside was loaded with metal shavings and that were embedded in the tires- cleaning that out was a treat... I can probably still pick metal bits out of my fingers.

I tore it down to a bare frame, painted (Gun Metal Grey and Metallic Black) and cleaned everything, replaced all wiring, new bearings in the wheels, and added a link belt. All that's left is to clean up the table. Everything went well and the saw is back together, but I could use some advice now.

The saw was missing parts of the guides, so I ordered guides from Carter and have installed those. Blades and an on/off switch should be arriving today. Anyone know of an aftermarket fence that I can make work with this table? I can drill and tap holes if needed. The Kreg fence is nice, but I think it may be a little short being made for 14" saws. I'm considering the Laguna Driftmaster but don't know if it can be adapted for other machines. I'm open to the Minimax fence if anyone has experience with them, but so far my emails to them to get part numbers and prices have gone unanswered.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images