Thread: Millers Falls No 1 Cigar Tutorial Requested

Millers Falls No 1 Cigar Tutorial Requested

Dave,
    You voluntered a tutorial for the cigar shave by Millers Falls to Tyler. I for one would appreciate it. I bought one, used of course, and tried to make it work, didn't, then got sidetracked. A lesson on this finicky guy would be appreciated.
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 12-19-2004 at 5:36 AM.

I'll try to put something together this week and to keep the pix police happy I'll take a coupla photos. It's a finicky process to learn on your own, but once you understand the geometry involved, it's not bad at all. Pix and/or sketches make things much simpler to understand.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A light! There's hope! Thanks Dave.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

While waiting for Dave's enlightening tutorial, here's something to whet the appetite:

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/cigar.htm

Still looking forward to Dave's explanations, though. I've wanted one of those little guys for a long time...

Leif

Meanwhile, here's an article from the Old Tools group, written by Ralph Brendler and Ray Smith. Be sure and look for the link to Ray Smith's sharpening page about half way down the first page.

I, too, am looking forward to Dave's writeup with all the photos.

Pam

David Sobel down in Florida has a detailed tutorial coming out in Woodwork magazine on making a Millers Falls cigar shave copy that I was one of the reviewers on....it includes fabricating and hardening the blade.

He doesn't know which issue it'll be published in yet, and I can't release any of it of course.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff