Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of Delta 890 Bandsaw?

Value of Delta 890 Bandsaw?

Hi,

I have been lurking here for a while, but now I need some help.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta 890 Bandsaw locally, but want to make sure I am paying a fair price.

The machine in question was built in June of 1946, has a 1/3 hp single phase GE motor, and shows some rust on the Upper Wheel Cover door. Assuming that the alignment is okay and the saw runs okay, what would the value of this be?

Some other notes:
    There is no Rip Fence or Re-saw fence with the saw, though the rails for one are evident on the sides of the table.
    It hasn't been used for at least 2 years.
    It was acquired by the current seller from an estate so there is no information on the saw's history.

What would some of the people here who know these saws pay for one like this?

Thank you for any and all replies.
    Dave

I'm not going to give you a fair price because the saw is worth what you want to pay to own it. It's up to you to research it.
    If you were to state what the asking price is, you might be told to get it, or walk.
    A little rust isn't a deal breaker. Here's a before and after on my '66 saw.
    Make note of the upper wheel cover.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can understand that...

I realize that value is really what someone is willing to pay for an item. That given, my purpose was to get an idea of what this should go for. I've seen ranges of $65 - $250 depending on condition and completeness. The seller is asking $250 which seems the top of the range.

Given that there is no fence, that seems to me to be something that should come off the price, but I am unsure how much? His take will be that he set that price knowing that.

If you consider $250, then whatever a fence will cost plus any maintenance that needs to be done to replace worn parts (probably likely considering the age) that would seem to be getting up there in price. I priced a Kreg fence for example, and we are talking over $100 for that alone. I don't know a current Delta fence would fit it, or I would price that.

I guess what I am looking for is some idea of if this is ballpark or priced high. My gut says I should try to get a concession on the fence issue and the fact that he mis-represented the age. That being said, one might consider a 60 year old Delta to be a better saw than a 30 year-old Delta.

Since I haven't purchased a used tool before, I was seeking some guidance in whether this could be justified to be at the top of what I saw as a range for these saws. Maybe it's not so simple.

By the way. It looks like you did a nice job with yours.
    Last edited by David McCracken; 09-24-2010 at 5:29 PM. Reason: 1 additional thing

Another well known site doesn't allow value talk at all because its so subjective. We have no idea what kind of condition the saw is in. Your idea of rust might not be my idea of rust. I've seen "like new" stuff listed on craigslist that had scaly orange cast iron surfaces. Others have listed "old junk" that is a pristine old machine. There's just no way you can describe the machine to us without photos. Proper alignment wouldn't figure into pricing strategy for me at all, and neither would that it runs good since it could run bad because of a $10 belt. Condition and completeness are what I'd consider, and when I say condition, I'm thinking more along the lines of mechanical wear than pretty paint. Does it have any accessories? For example if it has the optional OEM light, that alone can fetch $80. Not to mention geographic pricing differences.

Bottom line, you already think its priced high so you need to decide what you are willing to pay.

BTW, It probably isn't missing a fence--it probably never had one. A fence hasn't been a standard item until very recently. And you can make a perfectly serviceable fence from scrap plywood as demonstrated at my club's meeting last week.

Thank you for the information.

I only say it is missing a fence because the rails are attached to the table. If it never had one, I wouldn't think the rails for the fence would be there.

There is no light either. It looks to me like a bare-bones saw. You get the saw and that's it.

I don't mind paying the $250 if that is what it is worth and I guess the difference between $200 and $250 is very subjective.

That is a fine idea about building a fence with wood too. If I could do that then I could save my money for parts it might need. What was demonstrated at you club? Scrap Ply held down by clamps or something else? I'd be interested in more information on that.

Thanks again.

My concern would be the 1/3 HP motor, seems pretty small.

I would shop for a 3/4 HP motor to replace the 1/3.

If you can find a $100.00 motor, I wouldn't pay more than $150.00 for the saw.

I have a 20 year old 14 inch Delta with a 1/2 HP motor. I would take $250 in a heartbeat. (No, it's not for sale until I buy a bigger saw)

Bill

1/3 hp seems to be the motor that the saw would have come with new, wouldn't it? In looking at the manual, it says "for most work around the small shop or home workshop, a good 1/3-H.P. motor will be found to furnish ample power for this machine".

That being said, I know new machines come with up to 1.5 H.P. motors. What would the limitation be with the lower H.P. motor? Would it not cut hardwoods well, or is it simply an issue of able to cut average sized stock, but no re-sawing and definitely no logs. (I wasn't thinking it would handle logs anyway).

I just looked online and 1 H.P. motors can run a few hundred bucks. By the time I buy this saw and a new motor I'd be able to buy a new Grizzley. So, I am thinking that if the motor upgrade is essential to my purpose, then I'd better forget going this route. My purpose was to save some money by getting a used machine, and I know old machines are generally going to have better castings than newer ones.

Dave

Unless it;s broken or has missing parts then 250 is a great price.

If the motor is original it is even a better deal.

Go to OWWM.com and org and do a search. You'll find a ton of info because Delta BS's are very popular.

To add to my previous post, my saw came with the rails but no fence. Just like the one you are looking at.
    I put a WTB on OWWM and got a fence with 24" rails for $100. Mind you the fence is older than the saw, but I wanted to keep this saw as old iron. The reason for the restoration.

This saw replaced a 2002 USA made model that I liked very much, and sold for $450. Being a metal-wood model I value this older saw at $600 minimum.

For $250 the saw you are looking at could be a good price. It's a collectors item, and a darned good one at that.
    You could also spend the $250 on a new-in-the-box saw, but it won't be a USA made one. It all depends on what you want.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've got a whole shop full of old arn and I like these old machines. The delta's are nice saws, but I don't think I would spend 250 on a saw that wasn't mostly plug and play and I would doubt this one is. It may have the cast iron base which would certainly add to the value, but my impression is it will probably take a good bit of work to be put in shape. With a standard open base and in average condtion, maybe 1 to 150 max. And count on bearings for the wheels as well as the motor. Probably new tires too. If you aren't into that kind of work, then pass on it.

Well, there you have it--its a great, terrible deal.

Quote Originally Posted by David McCracken View Post
    I only say it is missing a fence because the rails are attached to the table. If it never had one, I wouldn't think the rails for the fence would be there.

That is a fine idea about building a fence with wood too. If I could do that then I could save my money for parts it might need. What was demonstrated at you club? Scrap Ply held down by clamps or something else? I'd be interested in more information on that.
    With the rails it must have had one at one time. The one I saw was incredibly simple. He had two faces, one fairly short, one fairly tall at right angles to each other. A triangular brace kept them at 90. Everything was pocket-screwed together. A couple clamps held it to the table wherever he needed it. I actually think it was functionally a better fence than my Fasttrack fence which is the predecessor to the Kreg fence.

Don: Thanks, I've been looking at OWWM. Lot's of good info.

Myk: Metal and Wood! That is a good one. This one is Wood only. I wouldn't mind trying a restoration, but that'll have to wait for more money. The goal now is to get to a well-working machine at the lowest price-point.

Bob: I don't mind doing that kind of work. I am going to go back over, now that I know more about the things to look at and see what the tires, wheel alignment, guide rollers all look like. My impression is that none of the items are that expensive if I do the work myself, except maybe for alignment. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Matt: Thanks for the info on the fence. I liked your "great-terrible deal" That may sum the whole thing up in a nutshell!

Thank you all for your responses, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

David, I had a 1982 version of the same saw that had a ½ hp motor. It would make curvy cuts in ¾ - 1” stock all day long. If I wanted to re-saw any hardwood thicker than 5” I had to use extreme patience. All in all, it was a great band saw.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Pictures

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dave/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]These are pictures from the advertisement. I should have posted before probably so people could get a visual idea, though I don't see that they show much detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It has the base and pulley cover. All other parts appear to be there.
    It is surely worthy of restoration. Offer $200 and see what happens.

It doesn't have to be sparkling to be operational. If it runs and cuts wood without the blade coming off, it is a worthy machine.

Looks like there is a Delta DP220 drill press in the background. Another fine piece of equipment. Where are you located?