Thread: Jet 13" planer questions & new member introduction

Jet 13" planer questions & new member introduction

Yes, it's another long time lurker who finally registered. I've been "making sawdust" as a hobby for about 8 years. Thanks to everyone for the useful information they have posted here (and Badger Pond) over the years.

Now for the planer question. I recently picked up a Jet JWP-13DX, 2HP Bench Planer at a tool liquidation sale for $240. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this model. Does anyone here have any experience with this unit? Was $240 reasonable for this?

I don't know squat about planers, so I have some reading to do before even plugging the thing in. I always figured I would get a dust collector, bandsaw, and jointer before I even considered a planer, but oh well.

Dan.....can't help you with your planer but.....Welcome to the 'Creek! I'm sure someone here has the same planer or has had one. Again.....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dan, Welcome to the Creek. I would say that you paid a fair price for that planer. It's got a cutterhead lock and at 50 cuts per inch, that should give you a decent finish. It should last you several years. Nice Purchase.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome To the Creek Dan,

Glad you joined-up. If you've been lurking for a while you know the rules!
    Keep it clean, keep it sharp, & Keep your fingers out.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I think I understand the cutter head lock, but what what is the significance of the 50 cuts per inch? Is 50 "cpi" the norm for a planer in this price range?

Dan, CPI is directly proportionate to the finish left on the board. Let me give you something to compare to. Craftsman Professional 13in. 51 CPI $399; Ryobi AP1300 66 CPI $250; Ridgid TP1300LS 66 CPI $350; Delta 22-580 60 CPI and 90 CPI $319; Dewalt 734 96 CPI $303; Dewalt 735 96 CPI and 179 CPI $399. Bench Top Planers have come along way in the last 3 or 4 years. Your planer is a little older model than the new ones, in it's day it was one of the best and it will still make a great planer. I still think you got a decent buy and wouldn't look back. Now let the chips fly.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "